From:
Heather Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:32:16 -0400
Latte (the October Centerfold of the 2007 FML calendar) loves the
fireplace whether it is hot burning wood or cold dark ashes. His
obsession started with the cold ashes and he led Wolfe on some of his
forays into the forbidden fireplace. We used to have a normal black rod
iron three fold screen in front of the fireplace, but when we brought
Latte into the household, he learned to scale the screen and jump into
the ashes covering his white fur and requiring a bath. He even got into
the trap at one point and had to be removed from the outside (I can
tell you that was a scary moment for my husband Steve). Before we could
figure out a solution to this situation, Wolfe joined our family and
not only could he scale the fireplace screen, but the fireplace itself.
He would just muscle his way up the bricks. Each time, I'd come in and
rescue him before he fell. I think ferret owners just have a sixth
sense when it comes to their ferrets getting into trouble. Things just
get a little too quiet. Well after many trips to the bathroom to wash
the soot out of their fur, we got lucky and found a fireplace insert on
clearance at Lowes. You see, even though it was February and still cold
everyone had stopped selling fireplace supplies for the season. The
insert worked great while we didn't have a fire going. However, when
we lit a fire the following December, we discovered that Latte, Wolfe
and Scarlet are not afraid of the heat. The insert has glass doors and
then wire doors which are held in place by magnets. When you have a
fire burning, the glass doors are open and only the wire doors stay
closed. Being curious beings, the ferrets hop up onto the base of the
fireplace; get up next to the wire doors and start scratching and
pulling at the door. The heat doesn't deter them and they will work
and work at it till the magnet gives and the door pops open. So, now
we're back to square one "SIGH".

Dooks,
Heather