Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:19:48 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
It does not look at this time as if other foods beyond those already
announced will be affected.

FDA Press Release:
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/chemnutra04_07.html
working from
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

>Recall -- Firm Press Release FDA posts press releases and other
>notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a
>service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA
>does not endorse either the product or the company.
>
>ChemNutra Announces Nationwide Wheat Gluten Recall
>
>Contact:
>
>Devon Blaine/Lisa Baker
>
>310-360-1499
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE --Las Vegas, NV -- April 3, 2007 -- ChemNutra
>Inc., of Las Vegas, Nevada, yesterday recalled all wheat gluten it
>had imported from one of its three Chinese wheat gluten suppliers --
>Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd.
>
>The wheat gluten ChemNutra recalled was all shipped from China in 25
>kg. paper bags, and distributed to customers in the same unopened
>bags. The bags were all labeled "Wheat Gluten Batch No.: _______ Net
>Weight: 25 kg Gross Weight: 25.1 kg Made in China". The batch numbers
>included in the recall are 20061006, 20061027, 20061101, 20061108,
>20061122, 20061126, 20061201, 20061202, 20061203, 20061204, 20061205,
>20061206, 20061208, 20061221, 20070106, 20070111, 20070116, and
>20070126. Each ChemNutra shipment had the certificate of analysis
>information from the supplier, including batch number and the
>supplier's content analysis and test results. ChemNutra shipped from
>its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one
>distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry.
>ChemNutra's shipments commenced November 9, 2006 and ended March 8,
>2007. ChemNutra did not ship to facilities that manufacture food for
>human consumption, and the distributor ChemNutra shipped to supplies
>wheat gluten only to pet food manufacturers. The total quantity of
>Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten shipped was 792 metric tons.
>
>ChemNutra learned on March 8 from one pet food manufacturer that the
>wheat gluten it had sold them -- all from the Xuzhou Anying - was
>among ingredients suspected as a potential cause of pet food problems.
>ChemNutra immediately quarantined its entire wheat gluten inventory
>and assisted this customer's investigation.
>
>After that manufacturer issued a pet food recall, the FDA immediately
>commenced a thorough investigation of ChemNutra's wheat gluten,
>including documentation analysis, inspection, and laboratory testing.
>ChemNutra cooperated fully with the FDA and immediately notified its
>other three wheat gluten customers about the FDA's investigation.
>Those customers had all purchased smaller amounts of the Xuzhou Anying
>wheat gluten commencing in January, 2007.
>
>On Friday, March 30, the FDA announced they had found melamine in
>samples of the wheat gluten ChemNutra had imported from Xuzhou Anying.
>The FDA did not inform ChemNutra of any other impurities in the Xuzhou
>Anying wheat gluten, nor of any impurities in the wheat gluten from
>ChemNutra's other two Chinese suppliers.

> [...]

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
http://www.ferretcongress.org/
http://www.trifl.org/index.shtml

[Moderator's note: One of my favorite takes on the entire recall
fiasco can be found here:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/04/03/petscol.DTL
It's entitled "Bigger than you think: The story behind the pet food
recall".

I've been following this quite a bit, and the amount of contradictory
information -- even from the manufacturers -- is astonishing.  BIG]