From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:20:47 -0700
Josh's message:
>There is a way to get a permit to legaly own ferrets in california
>the permit costs $75 a year
>
>I myself love ferrets and are trying to legalize them in california
>but i am young and that is just going to make things harder
>
>e mail the californian fish and game and see if u can get one from
>there i am almost sure u can get one (it would be under "exotic animal
>permits" but we all know ferrets are not exotic animals

DO NOT believe this. There is absolutely NO permit you can get from
Fish and Game in California. None.

Whoever posted this is either lying or just misinformed. If you contact
fish and game about any ferret questions in California I would hope you
do not give out your name, your address, any personal info, and
certainly, call from a payphone.

The only licensing they are attempting to do is to get certain people
to get licenses to rescue them. And I am pretty sure that it involves
very short term holding and mostly transporting. It also involves
inspections and fines for being a rescue. Unlike some people think,
rescues don't get paid for what they do, even when they are working
under governmental or state permits.

Laryssa

[Moderator's note: Well, it depends how you look at it.  There IS a
permit.  But they aren't issued.  BIG]