From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 14:23:59 -0500
For Sean's Christmas reading:

http://www.dookingweaselforge.com/
----

From what I have run into elsewhere the house where the baby lost toes
is wild rat infested, and that could be a better match. Also, I would
like to know if the courts are also looking into the possibility that a
parent may have accidently directly caused the loss (instead of by
neglect or abandonment) and tried to make it seem like one of the young
animals did. That sort of thing has happened before...

How old are those parents? In the photos they look about 16 or younger.
Not that there haven't been responsible young teen parents (I have
known a few.) but most kids just plain are still kids...

I have known people who had trouble monitoring babies, either because
of deafness on at least one parent's part, or in one instance because
of a baby who was mute due to a stoma (neck breathing hole the baby
needed). All of those individuals took very careful precautions,
keeping babies close (same room), setting vibrating timers for checks,
having removable screen cover (to keep insects out of stoma) for crib
and playpen, etc.

On the other hand, a common thread in injury to babies by small animals
in the cases I have read through the years has been parents either away
or passed out due to drugs or alcohol. The animals were neglected in
such cases and sometimes abused, often starving.

No matter what animal did it: wild rats the baby wasn't protected from,
the young ferret, or the puppy there is still only one conclusion: the
parents were ultimately the cause of the situation.

Hopefully, the ferret and puppy can be adopted out. I am personally
also hoping the human baby can have a better family, and these parents
get their heads together before they try being responsible for anyone
again. It's easier to take away animals, though.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: