From:
Karen Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:03:45 -0500
Dear Bridge Greeters,

Please look out for Bonkers and LunaMoon.

It has been a very bad week here. I lost Bonkers on Wed. the 24th. He
had been fighting gi issues, very foul poo, pure liquid, stunk like
heck and a lot of it. He was on medication, anti nausea, anti diareal,
ant acid, carafate and I was hand feeding every 4 hours. Checked for
coccidia etc and did not have anything like it., also none of the other
ferrets had anything like it. After two days of this regime, Bonkers
started passing pure digested blood, became very lethargic and stopped
eating all together. He was in pain, so we let him go. It was quite a
shock cause he was only 5 and had been so full of mischeif and life. I
will miss him toting his butterfly around, stealing it from Lolly and
hiding it. Lolly finding it and hiding it and back and forth it went,
every day. Lolly has not touched the butterfly since Bonkers passed.
Bonkers also loved to eat people food from our plates and one of his
proudest moments was winning a place on the Carpet Sharks 2006 or 2005
calandar. He was very photogenic.

Yesterday morning, I woke to find LunaMoon collapsed. She ate, played,
pooped and was cuddled the evening before so whatever this was, it was
sudden. She was half in and half out of a blankie, She was very cold,
very unresponsive to anything and her breathing was very shallow. I put
her in a sleepy sak on top of a heating pad and warmed her up. I rubbed
her gums with honey but I dont think it was insulinoma that got her. I
think her spleen burst. She has always had a huge one and now it wasnt
so big anymore. After she was warmed her breathing became better and I
had some hope of pulling her out and got ready to take her to the
nearest vet as soon as they opened. Before leaving, LunaMoon soiled
herself, and again, pure digested blood. She started to make moaning
sounds and on the way to the vet had a screaming seizure. I let my
precous LunaMoon go when we arrived. She was 7 years old and she had
known every single ferret I have ever had or ever will have. She was
the gentlest ferret I have ever known and one of the only ones that
preferred to be held and cuddled to food, or play or anything else.
LunaMoon was always the ferret chosen for education days and for the
Ronald McDonald house. Her leaving takes some more of the gentleness
and lovliness out of this world with her.

I am hoping to write a fitting tribute poem to them both in a few days.
Right now, I just cant. Not yet.

Please, Bridge Greeters, let me know my babies arrived safely.
--
His Lamb,

Karen