From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:38:39 -0500

>The hematocrit (the percentage of the blood that is cells versus
>plasma is extremely low, and likely the cause of the white stools. You
>don't mention whether she is pale, but take a good close look at the
>nailbeds, gums, pawpads, and nose. I'm betting unfortunately that they
>are very pale. If this value is valid, and I have no reason not to
>believe it, then Buddy is severely anemic and we are dealing with a
>life-threatening problem. If the hematocrit drops below 12 in a
>ferret, a transfusion is generally recommended; if it is less than 10,
>then organ failure, including liver and kidney is a likely sequela.
>This bloodwork doesn't suggest renal failure at this time. The white
>blood cell count is acceptable at this time.
>
>Causes of anemia in ferrets include significant and prolonged bleeding
>from gastric ulcers, other types of blood loss including severe
>parasitism, adrenal disease in rare cases, hemolytic anemia, bone
>marrow disease (most commonly seen in unsprayed jills), and drug
>reactions. It is often difficult to diagnose precisely, but the common
>causes, including gastric ulcers, adrenal disease, and prolonged
>estrus often show other clinical signs.
>
>This is a very sick ferret.
>
>With kindest regards,
>
>Bruce Williams, DVM

brought to the FML by FHL co-moderator
Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: