Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 06:57:43 -0500
Hi Everyone:

While I cannot prove beyond doubt that 8-in-1 food is the culprit, I
do have a strong suspicion that it had a big part in causing Neo's
insulinoma. Being sold at a pet store, I believed that it was a 'high
quality' food, and Neo ate that exclusively. Before he even hit age 4
he developed insulinoma, including a large tumor on his pancreas. That
tumor was removed, along with an enlarged adrenal, and now, just a
month later, his signs of insulinoma are progressing rapidly again,
leading me to believe that many more small tumors in his pancreas are
growing.

It would be unfair to point the finger just at 8-in-1, BUT it is not
unfair to say that the food they eat is probably the major cause of
insulinoma. I did my research too late for Neo, but the last few
months he has been eating Totally Ferret, a much better kibble in that
it has a much higher content of meat product. He gets a soup that also
includes Uncle Jim's Duk Soup Mix, because that is also primarily all
meat, product, with some other good things.

If only people like me had known earlier that there ARE big differences
in food for ferrets, then maybe ferrets like Neo wouldn't be developing
insulinoma at such an early age. Ignorance is not bliss in this case,
so please tell anyone you know who has ferrets about the very real
dangers of insulinoma that can be caused by food that is too high in
grains. Here is a link with a very helpful comparison of foods:

http://www.mdferretpaws.org/care/food_treats.html

Jeff and Neo