From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:26:09 -0500
Risa wrote: Soren's first road trip

>On Saturday a very busy shelter mom, Alicia, went south about three
>hours to pick up young Soren, an 8 1/2 year old pet store ferret who
>had learned to be fearful of hands and bite. She then came back with
>Soren (and a little old ferret lady who was being transported to a
>forever home) to make a round trip of nearly 6 hours. ....

Dear Risa,

Thank you very much for your kind words and your post on Soren's first
road trip. Soren is getting used to being a ferret here at Ferret Wise.
He is slowly learning to play and chatters... but Soren is 8.5, alnost
9 months ( not years) old. He knew little of gentle human touch or life
outside of a tank or a cage -- he is learning quickly! Today Soren met
our vet for a health check he has ear mites, but is otherwise looking
good! He has a wonderful coat, bright eyes and clung to me like a koala
to a tree limb! We opted to use a small amount of Iso for the blood
needed for his ADV test - he had a huge puffy tail for that experience.

Soren evidentally had a rough start being in the pet shop too long,
then sent home with an employee who dumped him back there in a box
marked Tag - You're it!

Thankfully he found his way into the hands of Maggie Ciarcia a wildlife
rehabber in NY. Maggie emailed me and the rest is history. Maggie also
has several ferrets needing placement in adoptive homes and now 5 new
intakes all 3 years & up from an SPCA rescue which involved over 300
animals - I will be posting more on those ferrets in the next few
days...

The old gal KEDA has already made her journey from FerretWise into the
home of a skilled and loving shelter friend who is a vet tech. She is
getting stronger and gaining weight each day. Soren is starting to
trust hands a little more each day- although after today's vet
experience I am sure he will think first when I next reach towards him.

We do not do as many road trips as we used to -- though running
supplies to the group homes and vet offices seems to rack up a lot of
expense which is not in the budget. Many long time supporters can
remember the many trips for bulk rescues in the past -- now we do as
much as we can while spending more effort on being able to supply
expert testimonies in legislative efforts which of course is a 3 hr
trip on the road each day!-or assisting humane agents in local based
cases .

Thanks to all our friends and supporters... as a critical care facility
we manage to give troubled ferrets a second start and a new life... and
we continue to educate, educate, educate.

Risa is very correct.. no one can imagine the preparation hours to
get a day of public contact off the ground.- assembleing materials,
coordinating volunteers, moving - setting up all around the daily care
of shelter critters. We won't even mention the work involved in trying
to fund raise to keep the shelter & education programs viable... we
have had to taper some programs down due to aging (human), aging
hospice & volunteers... but we continue to try to make a difference.

Any young and spirited folks are invited to be the next generation for
Ferret Wise assisting in presentations and public education... I can't
do it forever-- so let me know and lets get working to continue this
work ! :) Meanwhile we have a parcel of elder ferrets who require
monthly lupron depots, melatonin implants, and veterinary care for many
conditions including but not limited to: hyper adrenal, insulinoma,
renal compromise, cancer... to name a few. As the ferret residents get
older the costs of providing them with quality existence rises. And the
housing costs ( water/sewer, electric etc.) remain an undertaking of
their own

Those who prefer to make donations to the veterinary accounts can also
make direct donations to:

Park Place Veterinary Hospital
92 Old Homestead Hwy
Keene, NH 03431

Account # 706  Ferret Wise Shelter

or to :

Fisherville Animal Hospital - Attn. Dr George Messenger
108 Fisherville Rd,
Concord, NH 03303

Account # 2817

January 5, 2007 will mark the 12 year ANNIVERSARY for Ferret Wise - as
we work into the 13th year of licensed shelter services to ferrets and
the 15 year mark of ferret rescue services. Amazing!

www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 organization
Alicia & the many folks & ferrets