Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:32:43 -0500
From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
I have been to his farm, several times, and yes, I agree that it is not
the optimum place for a ferret to be bred or live.

But in Ohio, Humane Officers must announce they are here on official
business, and can be refused entry, which means they have to go and get
a court order to go onto the property. Which means they have to have
proof that the MINIMUM required by law is not being done. Shelter
(hutch and straw), water (every time I have been there in the past
three weeks someone is out doing water duty, and I show up unannounced)
and food. And if it goes to the point of a court order, in the time it
will take to get it, gives them a chance to clean up their act a bit,
so it doesn't look so bad, they get a slap on the wrist and told what
else they need to fix and by when, and a fine.

The best approach would be getting the Health Department involved
(which again requires proof). Why the Health Department, if we can show
the piles of poop under the cages, and the fact that it sits on the
ground, with the urine, soaking into the ground, there by contaminating
the water table. Not to mention the amount of feral cats that are on
the property. Seems a very popular place to dump unwanted house cats.

When Doug broke his hip and ended up in a nursing home for a few
months, he turned the mink farm over to his son, and the ferrets to his
grand daughter. Every year, it is the same thing, too many ferrets, the
only difference is that this year Doug really was in the hospital.
(Normally he will tell an unsuspecting person he has severe health
problems, and he is just trying to cover the expenses). Doug can be a
very charming person. Doug can sense that he can manipulate a person's
feelings. Some people more than others. And since someone is willing to
pay him for the ferrets, he has been watching things much more closely
now.

With that said, I know Lori has been and I have, along with another
person, talking to his grand daughter. Not yelling and screaming get
the ferrets out, not beating the drums and trying to form a lynch mob.

Quietly, under the radar, no fan fair. We talk to her, we let her know
that the Ohio shelters will help, but we CANNOT buy the ferrets. We
cannot afford to buy them. Have I gotten ferrets out of there? Yes, but
I also promised that I wouldn't say how many, when, who they came from
or cause any waves, so I could continue to get them out. But that was
all without Doug's knowing, now it is impossible.

Now, it isn't only the ferrets that live in those conditions, but the
mink also. I have no love for mink farms, but I do know of several that
keep their stock in better conditions, where at least they have a safe
clean environment. I don't know of any farm that would take on his
stock. And there is no mink rescue. I do rescue mink, but I would never
be able to help that many. The adults are fearful of humans and gaining
trust is a very long drawn out process. Some you are never able to
touch, but they learn to trust that you will care for them and not
hurt them. The human society would euthanize everyone of them.

PETA does have it good points, and has it's bad points. They helped
in Utah, and that is what I would expect of a group of animal rights
people. However, the releasing of animals is something that I cannot
condone, and if something like that happened, they would be releasing
mink and ferret alike. The farm isn't far from I71, there would be
many a mink and ferret carcass on the road.

One thing that must be remembered, emotions must be kept in check, if
emotions get out of hand, no good can come of it, and someone could
say or do something that will end them up in court.

Things that are said, or put into writing must be done so with care,
slander and liable are a very real thing to deal with. You may be
speaking the truth, but you must watch how you say it.

If he were to get closed down, then we would have to go in as a group
with one or two people as the organizers, and listen to them. Everyone
cannot go in and just grab and run. It would have to be organized, a
vet would have to be there to help also. You have to be realistic, some
may beyond the point of being saved.

Something that large would have to be very organized. One person taking
pictures, another cataloguing stats, and condition of the animal,
another treating for fleas, ear mites. Have I thought about what if
this happened? Yes I have.

Jean
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter
www.ferretsunlimited.org
Non Profit, No Kill

I have and will continue to help as I am able.