Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 05:57:14 -0500
From:
Good Day All :-)

It would seem that my post about Doug McKay has ruffled a few feathers.
Sorry about that. But in all honesty, I'm not sorry.

I have NEVER met Doug. I have NEVER been to his facility, so when this
man called me out of the clear blue I was taken aback. His words to me
were:

"I can not afford to feed these animals anymore"
"I can not take care of them."
"We are getting out of the business"

I spoke with him about his granddaughter and mentioned that I had met
her last year at the Ohio show. He said that 'they' were out in the
barn when he called me. He never said they were going to continue the
business. He needed people to come and buy his ferrets. He mentioned
that his ferrets were 'show' quality and he would negotiate price.

How did he get my number? Off of a show application that he received
from last year. The show was hosted by the Michigan Ferret Rescue &
Adoption Network! Why did he call me? I really don't know. I'm not a
breeder. Maybe he thought I would know people that would come and
purchase his ferrets. What part of ferret rescue didn't he read? Why
didn't he call breeders?

I'm sorry folks, but when a person calls and tells me that they can't
afford their ferrets anymore a red light pops up. I ran a shelter for
7 years. I remember Utah. I remember 1999 when the breeders here in
Michigan shut down. The numbers were not even close to Doug's.

I told Doug that I was going to send out a post about the ferrets.
The word surrender never came up when we talked. That was my own
hypothetical scenario. Thank you Lori for taking the time to go there.
The ferret community needed to be aware.

Mary Mewton