From:
Susann Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:11:21 -0500
There've been some very good ideas put forth, such as using websites
like iGive.com, the Buck of the Month Club, signing up with
ferretstore.com's purchase program and creative fundraising events.

I have a couple more ideas to suggest. First, perhaps SOS or the IFC
websites could post a feature "Shelter of the Month" article, just a
short write-up/bio sketch with a few photos and a wish list. Right now
SOS has links to shelters and a list of needs, but there's nothing on
the home page that 'grabs' people and makes them want to donate, i.e.
a compelling story or lead-in. Visitors to the site can bookmark the
page and check back every month to see who's being featured this month,
and what some of their critical needs are. The featured shelter should
set up a PayPal account, and the article would include a hyperlink to
donate online. In addition to raising funds, I think it would be a
really nice way for us to get to know the people and faces behind
those email addresses that we see on the FML every day.

I'll volunteer to do the writeup to submit it to the webmaster for
posting. The shelter would provide the information and pics. (Many
shelters already have bios and pics on their own websites.)

If this is a go, then I guess one way to determine who gets featured
and in what order would be first-come first-serve...or even just pick
names from a hat. :)

Another idea: gift basket raffles can really raise a nice amount of $$.
How about if just one person each month volunteers to create a gift
basket on behalf of a shelter. Same as above in terms of deciding the
order. The contents of the basket could be purchased from another
shelter that sells ferret merchandise. You can help two shelters for
the price of one. Not only does the raffle benefit a shelter, but the
purchase of goods benefits another shelter at the same time. :)

A third idea: some of us who run marathons or hike or bike long
distances, would people be willing to sponsor us? You could donate $1
for each mile run, or something like that. We in turn donate the money
to a shelter. Organizations like the Leukemia Society (which sponsors
Team in Training for marathoners), American Cancer Society and Avon
(huge walk/runathons) and Multiple Sclerosis Society (annual long
distance bike relays) do this with phenomenal success. This would
of course be on a much smaller scale, but the same idea applies...

Feedback? Other ideas?

Susann Thiel