From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:57:44 -0500
Yes, I know that shelter ferrets badly need homes, and yes, I do
know that while there have been claims of "malignancy free" by some
breeders a number of the people who wind up with their ferrets report
differently. Yes, I know this causes great frustration for those
amazing souls who have dedicated themselves to shelters.

Still, I understand that person being too hurt right now to be ready to
face medical challenges again -- at least now. That is a very common
experience. Some get there early, some take a couple of decades, but it
is an experience that is not at all uncommon. You may be there yourself
someday.

May I suggest a completely different approach to this person? Do NOT
add another ferret right away if there is not a ferret based reason to
do so. Instead, give yourself a year to mourn and get past it. During
that time read in reputable health resources such as those in my
signature lines so that you know about health beforehand, and save
money for medical care if that is also a need. The best way to avoid
medical problems or to control them is to know how to recognize them. I
do NOT know your situation in relation to health knowledge, but I do
NOT know anyone for whom this is not good advice, so... Now, you may
think that you don't need to read up on medical things. Here's a tip:
even the people who know the most about them, ferret vets, regularly
read up on them, and so do reasonably informed ferret people.

It is true from our experience that the shelter ferrets we have adopted
have usually needed more medical care, but it is also true that
conditions in the home impact on health and life span, so controlling
what you can control and knowing enough to jump fast, plus having the
savings to do so when there is need can make all the difference between
still having a ferret around to hug and kiss as opposed to visiting a
grave.

Take into account, too, how many ferrets you can provide with enough
time and with full medical care. Let their needs be what dictate your
numbers. For example right now 5 is a better number for us than
previous higher numbers, and we simply can't afford to purposely
take in ones with severe congenital deformities anymore. Sad, yes,
especially the second which was very emotionally rewarding work, but
things would be sadder if we weren't honest with ourselves about what
limitations we need to provide optimal care.

Some things are best treated with time and what can be accumulated over
that time; perhaps you should consider giving yourself that gift.

I can think of at least twice that one or both of Steve and me needed
that year of healing.  Nothing replaces it when it is greatly needed.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: