Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:45:40 -0800
From:
Leanne Bochenko <[log in to unmask]>
>I have been silent for as long as I can bear but so many things in
>yesterday s FML touched me to the quick. Ferrets have a ZERO need
>for carbohydrates, so how can potato be better than grain?"

This statement is very true.. but potatoes are less digestible in
animals therefore not causing the spikes in sugar like rice and corn.
Corn, not so much as rice. In other words, it comes out the back end
and doesn't reck havoc on their pancreas as a rice based diet does. I'd
much rather have potatoe in a obligated carnivores diet (some starch is
nec to bind the kibble together) than any of the others currantly being
put into pet food. Some day, raw/ whole prey all the way here. But
until that day comes, i'll stick with my EVO and gravy.

Also on another note. Is it really necessary to berate someone for
wanting a privately breed ferret from a good, reptutable breeder? There
is nothing wrong with someone wanting a ferret that possibly has a
better chance at a more healthier life due to a reputable breeder whom
keeps track of their kits, lines, health etc. Yes, there are tons of
kids in the shelters. But shall we remember why? The big farm breeder
that overbreed and sell to stores. The stores that sell to whom whoever
has a buck.

Reputible private breeders (not so called back yard breeders) are not
the problem. Neither is anyone wanting the chance at getting a ferret
that quite possibly can either be late neutered/spayed and quite
possibly have a better chance at not getting some of the more common
illnesses as those we see from big farm breeders that do NOT keep
track of their lines/kits sold health issues.

I know of quite a few reputiable private breeders who do follow not
only their lines, but the health of their kits after they are sold/or
adopted. This assures them that they are doing everything in their
means to make their lines better and healthier. Big farms (Marshalls,
Path Valley) can not say this. I mean Marshalls sends out a health
guarentee, whoopie. How many of you have received emails, phone calls
etc from Marshalls asking a year or two or five down the road how those
kits are doing? How is their health? I can probably answer that for
you... zero. Now, a reputible private breeder that cares about the
health of his/her lines and such will keep track of it.

Breeding should be from the heart. A reason to improve for the
longevity and health of the breed. And there is nothing wrong with
someone wanting that chance. Yes, privately breed ferrets can and do
have problems. But with a reputible breeder, a quick call would end
that line as to avoid the same problems in the future. Can you say
that about the big uns? Nope, not gonna happen.

If the big breeders cared... they'd stop the massive overbreeding. Stop
putting females into false cycles just to be able to breed so they can
make a buck. Think they don't? I've seen kits year around in stores.
The only way this can happen is false cycles. You wanna blame someone
for the kids in shelters? Blame the big farm breeders. Stop putting the
blame where it doesn't belong. True its supply and demand which comes
from consumers but if they honestly took a look (and not at their
pocketbooks) at the shelters and their numbers and did it in such a way
as to say hey we personally are the top cause of this, maybe it would
open some eyes and take some of the heat off of the over-crowded
shelters. It originates with them and can only stop when they pull
their heads out and take responsibility for the over-breeding in the
first place.