Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 19:29:34 EST
>If only  people like me had known earlier that there ARE big
>differences in food for ferrets, then maybe ferrets like Neo wouldn't
>be developing insulinoma at such an early age. Ignorance is not bliss
>in this case, so please tell  anyone you know who has ferrets about
>the very real dangers of insulinoma that can be caused by food that
>is too high in grains. Here is a link with a very helpful comparison
>of foods

Hi Jeff ~

I'm so sorry about Neo...this is heartbreaking. My Calvin died of
insulinoma on Dec. 17th. While he ate Totally ferret as his kibble he
also received treats and I believe it is the sugar content in those
treats that contributed to his condition, not the totally ferret. So
yes I believe a better education for caregivers is necessary. Even
checking the sugar/grain/filler content on foods may not be enough...
I'm thinking with Calvin (since he was a shelter surrender and
had an unknown 2 years) that ANY sugar may have been the culprit.
We did not know the foods he consumed before he was surrendered, so
the insulinoma could have come from anything.

There is also a discussion, ongoing, about treats. Some folks refer to
raisins, a grape, bananas, fruit snacks, etc. Calvin should not have
had any of them, but we didn't know. Does anyone have a good treat they
use?

Also why are people feeding EVO canine instead of EVO for ferrets? I'm
totally unfamiliar with this product. Can you all help?

Warmly ~

Mary L. Conley, herbalist, N.D.
Conley Mountain Herbs
Teas,  tinctures, flower essences