From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:35:22 -0500
Marguerite,

Your heart had to shatter when you had to close, and it is heart
breaking when you think about how many shelters face the same prospect.
Too many times people think that "All I can give is $5.00, that won't
make a difference."

But it does. What people don't realize is it isn't the large donations
that keep shelters afloat, but the little ones that all add up. My
favorite soap box, find what shelter is close to you, and help. If you
can't do litter boxes, then find out what needs done, what the shelter
needs the most, what vet they use, $1.00 paid on a vet bill is $1.00
less the shelter operator needs to come up with or worry about.

I don't expect people to all jump on the band wagon, or on their white
chargers and support this shelter or like me as a person or a shelter
operator (a couple would be nice) but I would love to hear that every
shelter out there end up with people who regularly donate, volunteer,
run fund raisers, help with the stuff that needs done.

Not all shelters do things the same way, not everyone agrees where the
litter box goes, or how long is a long enough play time, or free roam
is better than caging, but we all do the same thing, we work to help
ferrets. That we can all agree on.

So I beg the ferret community, find the shelter near you, and help. No
matter how small, it is help.

You don't have to help this shelter, you don't have to like me
personally, but help some shelter, without the ferret community
there are no shelters.

Karen,

No offense taken. We stopped taking in 3 months, maybe 4 ago. Extreme
emergencies are exceptions, and I do mean EXTREME. Or Animal Control.

The building is well, it falls into that someday category. Someday I'll
win the lottery too!! LOL!! What is sad about that whole thing is the
changes that caused the overage that the couple asked the shelter to
step up and be responsible for, and you can't blame them.

The 12 that the young woman in the Boardman area, hopefully will be
going to another Ohio shelter, as soon as she gives me the OK to
forward on her information.

This is a really strange year, 12 ferrets in total dropped off on the
front porch, 31 abandons, 15 strays, 27 from Animal Control from
various cities, just a really strange year.

I am deeply grateful to our Secret Santa's, the whole bright spot in
this was watching the kids tear into the packages.

Thank you all.

jean

Jean Caputo-Lee
Director