Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:15:41 -0500
From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Hi All -

Keep forgetting to post this recommendation.

Those who just grind kibble may find this of use.

FACT uses a dedicated Coffee Grinder. We usually grind a coffee can
worth at a time and keep it to make our "gruel" as we like to call it.
This way the batches can stay super fresh as the shelter frequently
has to make it up several times a day.

For myself, who may only have 1 on at a time at home; I use the same
process only microwave up 2 or 3 days worth, refrigerating the remains,
of course. Then I only heat the amount required for each feeding -
sometimes just needs a bit of hot water to bring it to the individual
ferret's preferred food temperature.

We have found the coffee grinder lasts just about forever as they are
very durable. They are cheap enought to pick up on sale or on tag sales
(our grinder of choice has been Braun). Between uses we clean out
carefully with a damp sponge and soap as they, of course, can't be
immersed to wash. Most will last years, even for a shelter and it sure
beats destroying your home blender which really wasn't designed for
grinding. I actually keep 2 different colors - one for the ferret gruel
and one to grind my coffee :)

For anyone interested, here's our recipe - keeps most ferrets on their
favorite kibble which we find increases their acceptance of this gooey
mix.

http://www.ferret-fact.org/GCFoodGruel.htm

Happy New Year to ALL!

Ann Gruden
President
Ferret Association of Connecticut  - FACT