Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:27:51 -0500
From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Here in Roanoke VA we are blessed with Dr. Mark Finkler as the areas
prominent ferret knowledgeable Veterinarian. But even the best can't
work 24/7 so we have had times when we've taken sick kids to the local
Emergency Veterinarian Hospital which operates outside the normal open
hours of the area clinics. We have heard horror stories relayed to us
by club members of either being turned away once at the clinic or told
on the phone that they don't see ferrets, and worse, one member after
being seen was told she was starving her ferret and they could do
nothing for her other than put the ferret down. They basically
belittled her & tried nothing to save the ferret (possibly having an
insulnomic seizure). This little girl ferret was being seen by Dr. F
regularly and was not being mistreated nor neglected, she was adrenal,
being treated for it with Lupron.

This was reported to our doctor and he has taken it upon himself to
work with, so far, at least one of the Vet's at the EVH.

We've been in to see them several times since, and I am happy to report
that they have helped. Me personally... I had a boy that couldn't pee.
Of course it was after hours so off we go to the emergency clinic. They
were very helpful, albeit guarded, and were able to catheterize my boy
and saved his life.

While it is still an uphill battle, we are making advances. It is never
proper for any "hospital" or emergency clinic to turn away any patient.
But with knowledge comes power over the unknown. In our case, a bit of
guidance from someone that really cares has turned out to be a great
help.

"The more you read the more you know.
The more you know the smarter you grow.
The smarter you grow the stronger your voice.
When speaking your mind or making your choice."

Debbie