Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:57:44 +0000
>I love ferrets, and it is for the ferrets that I do this, but I also
>am not of great financial means at the moment and it was a big deal
>for me to have sent what I did.

If it is truly for the ferrets that you did this - then why are you not
satisfied in just knowing that you did a good thing for them? Does a
good deed only count if you receive praise in the doing?

>It would have been so heartwarming and rewarding to have gotten
>something like a photo of them playing in the wrapping paper or
>some equally silly thing

Perhaps the shelter operator was busy with a ferret that was dying
in their arms? And some don't even HAVE a camera in which to take
pictures.

>I realize that shelter parents are extremely busy, but not even
>hearing a simple thank you makes me feel as though what I did was
>inadequate or a disappointment in some way."

I don't understand why you would think this. Your satisfaction should
be in the SENDING OF THE GIFT - not in the acknowledgement.

>Just my two cents on how it feels to go unacknowledged and not share
>in the ferrets' Christmas fun.

Maybe Christmas was not a fun time for the shelter. I know of two that
lost ferrets right on Christmas Day. Remember, too, that these people
have families, jobs, lives.

Perhaps those that feel that getting a thank you email, note or letter
is a requirement for them to feel justified for their good deed should
choose shelters local to them. That way they can hand deliver the items
to the shelter. And perhaps when they drop by they can scoop pans, play
with the ferrets, feed the ferrets, trim the nails, offer to take some
to vet appointments, offer to foster or console the shelter operator
for recent losses.

Laura and The Seattle Seven at www.ferretocious.com