From:
Kris Kalaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 06:16:46 -0800
Dear FML folk,

I noticed the post on weight loss. I don't know that any of what I have
experienced will help, but it's a couple thoughts to throw out there.

First to monitor weight at home. A very nice ferret person
showed/taught me something easy and cheap to do this. Just stop by a
local department store like Wal-mart, get a food scale. They usually go
to around 7 pounds. Pick a time of day and weigh your ferret every day
at that time. I found a squirt of Tone helps keep them still for this.
This way you are always using the same scale. That is important because
every scale can be every so slightly set different.

Next if you notice that your ferret is losing weight a couple of things
to consider. A ferret can go a LONG time with a foreign body in his/her
stomach. Anything from a hair ball to a button off a remote. In my kids
situation it was a small piece of electric tape acquired from a prior
home. Though that this object may not be a total obstruction, it can
cause all sort of problem with digestion and absorbing nutrients.

Second thing. I recent noticed one of mine losing weight. He had lost 4
ounces. He seemed fine other than the loss for almost a month. And then
I started finding black tarry stools. He has a ulcer. Once we began
treatment and a bland chicken gravy diet, he has put his weight back on
AND gained 1 ounce.

Again may be nothing like what your seeing, but a couple thoughts. I
hope your fuzzy kid will be just fine.

Dooks,
Ladyhawk-Kris