Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:18:41 -0800
Our kids with insulinoma are treated with a diet of their regular
kibble as well as turkey or chicken baby food-extra protein seems to
be the key.

They also get a few tablespoons of warm Ensure or Deliver 2.0 (harder
to find these days...anyone know where we can get it?) with a few
drops (.2 ml) of prednisolone. ( Which I mix myself also and can do
so inexpensively)

They get the Ensure mix once a day and so far keeps their sugar
balanced without giving too much pred and all the nasty side effects
that go with giving too many steroids.-pred bloated bellys, etc.

I know I'm going to take a hit for this but I also have to tell you
that it's my opinion that the signs of insulinoma are obvious and
knowing what the treatment is, I don't see the value in doing glucose
tests. Mostly because I just can't fathom clipping that nail to the
quick . It is SOOOOOOOOOO painful for the ferret and I just can't
bring myself to do it. Does knowing what the glucose level is affect
how you are treating the insulinoma? I'm just looking for a solution
to clipping that nail...and some may call my way a crap shoot but my
crap shoot has been succesful and I just thought I'd share with all of
you and try to understand more about why we put these guys through the
pain of blood sugar tests.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.