From:
Liz King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:08:17 -0500
Yesterday I took my ferrets in for their yearly checkups.

One of them had a low blood sugar of 2.1 [Canadian]. Tried to find
charts corresponding to US, but could not so far. I have been told
that anything below 3 is a definite cause for concern.

He shows no signs of insulinoma. I got him from a rescue 2 years ago.
The first year I fed him kibble, Innova Evo. The second year I fed
him a homemade soup of cooked turkey and rabbit and some A/D.

I was quite taken aback when the vet called me this morning and told
me he had low blood sugar. I had him tested a year ago and everything
was fine. He has shown no signs of insulinoma since then.

I am having him retested in a couple of days.

The vet thought that I should get his weight down.???

Since I started feeding him the soup of turkey and rabbit, he only
eats when I feed him from my lap and the food is in a bowl.

How often should I be feeding him?

I am quite upset. I will post again after his second blood test.

I read in Ferrets For Dummies, that they can live as long as ten months
or longer after being diagnosed with insulinoma. I am pretty sure I
have read about ferrets living much longer than that.

I will not be sleeping much tonight.

Any info or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Liz