Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:04:47 -0500
>From: "John Rosloot" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Panda's insulinoma
>
>I understand most ferrets will not react so well and for some ferrets
>surgery is not an option, but it sure worked for Sammy.

If anyone else has had similar success with a second surgery, I would
appreciate your input. Our situation is almost identical to John's in
that a nodulectomy has had little effect in helping Neo, who is now at
a point where he will very soon have to be put to sleep. A large tumor
was taken off of his pancreas on December 4, but the vet felt his
pancreas during surgery and didn't think that there was anything else
in it, so he did not remove any of it. Neo was okay for a couple of
weeks, but since then the insulinoma has gotten aggressive again, and
is now worse than ever. His Prednisolone and Proglycem are just about
at maximum effective dosages, and this morning, for the first time
ever, he had a violent seizure. We revived him with some honey on his
gums, and he was able to eat and get his meds about 30 minutes later.
We cannot let him suffer, and at the rate that the insulinoma is
progressing, I don't think he has more than a week or so left of
any reasonable quality of life. It is sad for us because he is just
4 years old, and as sweet and loving a ferret as you'll ever see.

Jeff and Neo