Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:11:17 -0500
>In my case, it seems that the combination of rabies and distemper at
>the same time caused the allergic reaction. It may have been something
>else, but in future, we won't be taking any chances, and we'll give
>him his shots on separate visits.

Every ferret owner should, IMO, give distemper and rabies shots at
least 2 weeks apart. Yes, it saves time to do them at the same vet
visit but there is a much greater risk of a reation giving both shots
at the same visit. For one thing, you can not accurately tell which
shot gave the ferret the reaction. Yes, it is true, many owners have or
are seeing reactions to distemper however there is a rise in reactions
to rabies.

My ferret Max is a prime example. I've had Max since he was 10 weeks
old. He has had all his shots every year for the last 3 years. He got
his distemper in Nov. and then we went back for the rabies in Dec.
And yes he had a rabies reaction! Within 5 min of getting the rabies
vaccine he began throwing up. He got fluids and oxygen and we had to
stay at the vet's for over 1 hour. Dr. Gold has been seeing ferrets
for 18 years and he hadnt seen a rabies reaction as bad a Max's.

I did not think I would see reactions in my ferrets to rabies. Now next
year I have to make the decision to give him rabies again or not.

Lisa
AFA Educational Director - www.ferret.org
Oxford Ferret Rescue Volunteer - www.oxfordrescue.org