From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:17:41 -0500
Shirley wrote:
>LOL I get TWICE as frustrated when reading, Every DAY on EVERY list
>that I am on, how kibble-fed ferrets DIE (or need very costly and
>painful medical and/or surgical intervention) of insulinoma, adrenal
>disease, hairball blockage, bedding material blockage, ulcers, kidney,
>heart and liver disease caused by periodontal disease and IBD. All of
>these complaints are RARELY seen in naturally fed ferrets, and even
>then, not until they are reaching old age.

Whoa! Let's separate out some stuff now to be most fair!

In the first place it looks (from a pers com Dr. Michelle Hawkins had
with Dr. Kathy Johnson-Delaney) like multiple lines in the U.S. may
have MEN (Multiple Endocrinological Neoplasia) genetics and that
increases vulnerability to things like adrenal disease, insulinoma,
etc. There is additional genetic data being sought.

For adrenal disease the causes are well documented to be things which
increase the release of LH and FSH, so things like being neutered and
haivng too little darkness. That is exceedingly well documented. Food
doesn't play into it.

Bedding material blockage happened in some peoples ferrets due to the
TYPE of material used: fake fleeces which do not break down, again, not
a food issue.

IBD is suspected to be caused by certain infections with ECE (even
silent ECE during kithood) being a big one. Not all parts of the world
have ECE. Now, AFTER it is present some of the individuals have a
harder time with starches, but vets don't suspect dietary causes; they
suspect infection causes.

Just as there are diseases which look more and more (some virtually
proven and others suspected) like they can be caused by periodontal
disease, there also are diseases which themselves cause periodontal
disease.

Don't build up the list beyond what could be connected, please, Shirl!

>PS I agree with Sukie that the emphasis should be removed from
>*longevity* to *wellness during life* !!!!

I think that BOTH are important. As more and more is learned and stands
up to peer review and to follow studies foods will get better, and the
knowledge of how to design one's own homemade foods will also improve,
plus we'll know which ferrets (healthwise, age wise, maybe at some
point even in relation to any vulnerabilities which may be also
reflected in markings as with neural crest variations) may do best on
which variations.

Oh, an addendum on Ruffle, the multiply handicapped ferret we had long
ago who had many malformations and also was severely intellectually
impaired: Ruffie was never diagnosed with gingivitis. It is just that
the talk about foods got me thinking about ones we have made at home
which naturally led to thinking about the first one: that special diet
constructed for her by vets and veterinary nutritionists (but which
seemed to not make a difference). Anyway, that led me to wondering that
since she was on a soft diet for so very long, and since she had some
medical conditions which themselves can lead to gingivitis if she also
had that going on. Like I said, though, it would not have made a
difference; she simultaneously developed a multitude of terminal
conditions. Dr. Bruce Williams reminded us then that in some
genetically severely intellectually impaired mammals, including humans,
that is a pretty common thing to happen near the end. Oh, one thing
that people making their own foods may find interesting: both of the
veterinary nutritionists told us to be sure to include cook egg yolk
in the soft food, that it supplied a lot of nutrients the other
ingredients did not.

Re:
>(We were not able to find out what happened to Felicia even from
>people who were at Fermi Lab back then. None knew. - Sukie):
>http://tingilinde.typepad.com/starstuff/2006/11/ferrets_in_phys.html

We later learned that Felicia died the next year of an intestinal
abscess. BTW, for anyone who worries: she wiring work was done long
BEFORE that ring was used so risk of radioactive exposure. The robot
only was used after research use began there.
http://history.fnal.gov/wildlife.html#tiny

Probably over 30 million people read about Felicia! (And I thought
Meeteetse was well known because of the maybe 4 or 5 million (?) who
probably heard about her on All Things Considered.

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
ferrethealth and then follow the directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:
[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: