Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:01:05 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Amy wrote:
>A species appropriate diet is the best diet. No study needs to be done
>to establish that fact. If an animal is designed to eat a certain
>diet, and it's body is set up to digest and use that diet, that IS
>the best diet.

Welllllllll, yes and no.

Past selective pressures DO narrow what is best under natural
conditions for a species IN YOUTH AND IN REPRODUCTIVE YEARS, but once
a ferret is beyond normal reproductive years there is not a natural
selection situation which defines what is healthiest.

It's the same for humans. Our needs change after reproductive years,
and current research shows that what is optimal for many of the old-
old differs from the early-old.

Ultimately, I think there will be produced foods designed for age
groups, those with cystine problems (which may or may not be the same
diet(s) as for those with kidney problems), insulinoma, etc. The more
information comes in the more options there are, and there is another
factor which is starting to improve options but which people rarely
think about. New equipment for food manufacturing is beginning to
introduce a level of flexibility in food design which had not
previously existed, and hopefully that equipment revolution will only
improve over time. The more peer reviewed, published, hard data exists,
and the more public demand there is for changes the better things get
WHEN THE DEMANDS THEMSELVES ARE BASED UPON CAREFULLY PROVEN AND
INDEPENDENTLY CONFIRMED CONCLUSIONS. I think that in all of those
regards things will improve over time. It's not that I have anything
against hypotheses, BTW; they are wonderful starting points but
sometimes under study the results turn out to be different than
expected so when people ask for changes it really IS best if they base
those requests on what is proven and if they want to also mention
hypotheses put that the aspect is under study. Later, when final
results are in and shown well enough to appear in journals then those
aspects can be more emphasized, and when they later have independent
confirmation, well, then they really are reasonably proven usually,
aren't they?

For now, as Amy has done, it makes sense to make your own personal
choices while respecting those of others, BUT ALWAYS ALSO KNOWING
THE DOWNSIDES AS WELL AS THE UPSIDES OF ANY CHOSEN DIET, AND ALWAYS
LETTING THE VET KNOW WHAT IS GIVEN.

Licorice and Timmy's Tonic:

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
To join, click on the joining link at

directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:
[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: