From:
Grey lupus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:48:48 +0000
Sorry for this unhappy story before Christmas, but I need Your help.
All of my ferrets (3 fuzzies) have ECE (unfortunately our vets are not
so veteran to tell it surely as in our country there were only few
cases). But symptoms tell it is ECE - they have runny yellow sometimes
greeny diarrhea (unfortunately now diarrhea is golden piles of jelly
containing grainy material, like birdseed), one of them has watery and
clear vomit. Two of them don't eat anything - only baby food, one of
them has a pain in his throat or mouth as he tries to drink, he is
scratching his muzzle and he is retching. They have lost their weight
(15dkgs/ferret - I think is too much in a week).

I keep them warm and dry place. They drink so much - mainly lukewarm
camomile tea with honey. They get antibiotics, Calo-pet and
multivitamin pastas.

Could you help me what can I do? Our vet told us he could give only
antibiotics as it could be a virus, so he couldn't cure it. Mainly I
have problem with pain in throat? or in mouth? because I see my ferret
has really pain and he is suffering from it. Is there any cure to help
him?

And I have another questions: as I have read in internet in different
sources and web pages the followings: - one of them tells that
- The "seeds" are undigested food which has passed through the
malfunctioning intestinal system. It is a sign of improvement! You may
see "seeds" on and off throughout the recovery period, but you probably
won't see that nasty green stuff again." ((L. Vanessa Gruden, ECE --The

Fact Sheet)
another tells that:
- Golden piles of jelly containing grainy material, like birdseed.
Unmistakable! you may never see the other two stages, but if you see
this stage, GREAT DANGER EXISTS. At this point the ferret is not
digesting its food and more than likely, it is not eating but using up
its own stored body fat, not noticed sometimes until 10 days to 2 weeks
after onset of E.C.E. - ((Angela Espinet -The Scoop on the Poop).

What is the truth? "Birdseed" in diarrhea is better or worse?

I have another question: how long does it infect? Because different
pages contain different data.

Thank You so much for Your help because together 8 ferrets and their
owners are waiting for Your help and answer.

Kind Regards, and Merry Christmas

Kriszti from Hungary and Lui, Matyi and Morgan