From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 06:54:38 -0800
MustyPete Greets Oz

Oz passed away and went to the Rainbow Bridge, his Earth Mom Pennie
asked me to check on Oz to make sure he made the crossing and is okay
up here.

Well, Pennie, I am happy to report that Oz is just fine.

He crossed over the Rainbow Bridge just as a group of kits was learning
all about Good Play/Bad Play. Sometimes kits are aggressive and need to
be taught to 'play nice' without causing injury or pain to their
playmates. So every time we get a group of 10 or more new kit arrivals
we have a class for them.

It's sad for me to think of kits having to make the crossing, so young,
with so much life ahead of them...but it does happen from time to time.

My biggest task where Oz was concerned was to figure out where he
should live. I felt he would be comfortable with a small 'family' of
ferts in his age group. So he could have friends, housemates and
playmates that could share his same level of energy and interests.
After I met up with Oz my objective was to find out what he liked to
do and consider where he might best fit in.

We met in the early morning, by the Bridge. There was a light fog and
the morning dew clung to the foliage that had started to show it's fall
colors. We are surrounded by hues of red and orange and yellow. Lovely
golden rod brightly mingled with the autumn colored leaves on the
trees. As usual a soft rainbow glides effortlessly across the sky above
the Bridge. Oz admires the beauty, in awe of it's simplicity. He turns
to me and says, "Pete, I just cannot get over how beautiful it is up
here. I had been told stories of the Rainbow Bridge, but I never
imagined it would be this perfect."

I smiled and replied, "I hear that a lot Oz, and it takes some time to
get used to it, I don't think any of us ever takes it for granted."

We watched the young kits as they experimented with different levels of
boisterous play, thoughtfully being reminded to be careful not to hurt
others. What a cute bunch they are! It seems so long ago that I was
once that young...another lifetime. I always enjoy watching the
youngsters play, they are such a joy!

Oz and I talked about the favorite things he had left behind, and his
favorite humans. He was very attached to Pennie and he enjoyed daily
walks throughout their home.

I asked him, "Do you think you would rather live near the woods or the
water Oz?"

He said he might prefer the woods, maybe enjoying walks and
exploration.

"Well then, " I said "I think I know the perfect place for you. Come
on, I'll show you where it is."

We walked down the foot beaten path that led away from the Bridge
towards The Meadows, along the way I pointed out some plants and trees
to Oz, and told him which ferts lived in various cottages as we passed
by. There were some ferrets out doing morning chores, shaking out
sleepsacks, sweeping off front porches, picking wildflowers... Oz noted
how content they all appeared to be. Happy just to be there.

I pointed out the path that leads to The Pool Of Remembrance and
explained to Oz just how well it worked, promising to make a visit
there with him so he could check on Pennie. We continued on the path
and neared the edge of The Great Woods. On the edge of The Great Woods
is a cluster of cottages...cabins really. Very rustic and natural. I
asked oz if he thought he might like to check out these cabins or if he
wanted to venture further into the woods. He decided we should keep
going. We walked for another 5 minutes and came upon another small
cluster of cabins. They didn't look big enough for more than 2 or 3
ferts. We peeked in one cabin and saw immediately that it was occupied,
an older fert poked his head out of his sleep sack and said "HALT! Who
goes there?" I chuckled..."It's me! Musty Pete! I am showing a new
arrival the sites, sorry we woke you!" The fert inside grumbled and
mumbled something that sounded like..."darned interlopers....ruined my
nap time..." Oz and I moved on and chose a cabin a few doors down from
Mr. Grumpy fert. We again peeked inside and this cabin appeared to be
sparsely furnished, and maybe unoccupied, although there was a hammie
stretched across one of the corners of the main room. I shouted,
"Helloooooooo! Is anyone home?" Nothing. Oz and I stepped inside and he
immediately liked the place. I told him "Well, let's find out if anyone
lives here before we get you settled in...I don't want to intrude on
anyones 'space'." I shouted again "Hellooooo??" I heard a faint shout
coming from the woods, then a crash boom bang as a hefty male fert
tumbled out of the ferns at the edge of the woods.

"Oops! I always trip over that stump! You'd think by now I would have
learned to step over it, eh? What's this? Hello?? Who are you?" he
asked as he approached us.

"My name is Musty Pete" I said as I extended a friendly paw "I am a
Bridge Greeter. And this is my friend Oz, he just arrived and we are
looking for a place for him to stay. Is this your cabin?" I asked. The
large fert nodded his head up and down, "Yes! I live here. My name is
Sir Dooks-a-lot...Friends call me 'Dooks'. I have been thinking that
a housemate might be a good idea, it can get a bit lonely out here at
times. Oz? You say? I knew an Oz back on Earth...No! Wait...maybe it
was Boz? I don't remember."

I smiled, he was a talkative fellow to be sure. "Well...'Dooks', Oz
would be happy to have a 'trial period' as your new roommate, wouldn't
you Oz?" I asked as I nudged him with my elbow. "Oh..Uh...Uh...Yes!
That sounds like a good idea!" Oz replied.

"Well then" said 'Dooks', "I guess that settles that...did you bring
anything with you?" I produced a back pack I had carried that had a
nice new hammie, a sleepsack in blue plaid flannel and a bag of toys,
as well as a box of my favorite golden raisins. I handed the backpack
to Oz and said, "Here you go Oz, this should get you started. If there
is anything else you need I can come back in a few days."

Oz looked inside the backpack and seemed surprised that I had brought
these things for him. "Why thank you Musty Pete! This is wonderful!
Can I keep these things?" he asked, somewhat surprised.

"Oh yes, of course. Everyone gets everything they need up here. All you
have to do is ask. So? Are you all set Oz? I should be getting back, I
have a meeting at the Community Center...we are planning a party..."

Oz smiled at me, then he gave me a hug..."Thanks Pete. I am really
happy that I met you and I think me and 'Dooks' will be just fine. Will
you come back in a few days? Just to check on me?" he asked quietly.

"Absolutely Oz! I'd be happy to." And off I went, whistling a happy
tune as I followed the path out of the Great Woods and headed back
towards town.

To request a greeting please send an email