From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:09:21 -0500
To see how far we've come in a few years:
when
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG2626

appeared in 2001 notice

BEGIN QUOTE

Technically, this virus has yet to be isolated - it has proven a
difficult virus to grow in the lab. However, the proof of it as the
agent in ECE was based on the caracteristic lesion of a coronavirus
infection in affected animals, visualization of the virus on both
transmission and scanning electron microscopy, and the presence of
coronaviral antigen in the mucosal epithelium as identified by
specific immunohistochemical staining.

END QUOTE

Now look just 5 years later at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

BEGIN QUOTE

A novel coronavirus, designated as ferret enteric coronavirus (FECV),
was identified in feces of domestic ferrets clinically diagnosed with
epizootic catarrhal enteritis (ECE). Initially, partial sequences of
the polymerase, spike, membrane protein, and nucleocapsid genes were
generated using coronavirus consensus PCR assays. Subsequently, the
complete sequences of the nucleocapsid gene and the last two open
reading frames at the 3' terminus of the FECV genome were obtained.
Phylogenetic analyses based on predicted partial amino acid sequences
of the polymerase, spike, and membrane proteins, and full sequence of
the nucleocapsid protein showed that FECV is genetically most closely
related to group 1 coronaviruses. FECV is more similar to feline
coronavirus, porcine transmissible gastroenteritis virus, and canine
coronavirus than to porcine epidemic diarrhea virus and human
coronavirus 229E. Molecular data presented in this study provide the
first genetic evidence for a new coronavirus associated with clinical
cases of ECE.

END QUOTE

BTW, if frank blood (red blood) appears that can be form colitis
secondary to ECE or other illness but is more commonly seen with
coccidia during blooms, and with some other things like injuries.

ECE can sometimes cause enough damage that apparently it is among the
infection triggers for IBD.

I hope that this is clear enough. I am having some eye problems but
also having some secondary effects from an added eye med that interfere
w my ability to see very well (Thank goodness for recent Macs will all
their free enlargement and speaking options as well as great screens.)
Plus the new med makes me a bit sleepy so I am not sure if I am saying
these things well enough until I adjust to the med. Luckily, the links
speak very well for themselves! So many people have made the internet
a useful resource!

(Yes, Dr. Matti Kiupel of Michigan State whose team did the molecular
analysis on ECE coronavirus also is among those studying the new FIP-
like coronavirus in ferrets, and is one of those who discovered that
the recent recurrent coccidia that has killed ferrets this year is
Eimeria furonis, which is in a genus that isn't always as easily
spotted by vets or techs who look at specimens because it is smaller
and a bit different looking from the Isospora genus usually looked
for.)

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: