Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:51:10 -0800
Hey All,

While I have been in Europe my internet access is limited, so I haven't
been able to check email often. I'll be home soon and catch up.

My last week has been spent in Hungary, although I doubt if many
Hungarians saw me much because I was spending so much time in the
museum. However, between the museum data and some household data, I
think I am but a single step from my final tooth paper and the New
Zealand trip will clinch it. At this time I can't be specific, but
I think there are no doubts left in my mind that the hardness and
abrasiveness of kibble is driving ferret dental disease. Those of you
who have seen my dental presentations will be pleased to learn I now
have photos, measurements and evidence that discounts ANY pro-kibble
argument that tries to suggest something else is causing the problem.
Also, I have convincing empirical data that supports the feeding of a
raw diet, as well as one lightly cooked, is safe for ferrets. I've made
dental scores of European ferrets on a kibble and a raw or lightly
cooked diet, and the results are simply amazing. I've always given my
ferrets some kibble in case they had a prolonged stay with others, or
if they went to a vet. However, the empirical data I now have in my
possession has completely wowed me and convinced me otherwise. Now I
think I will completely end that practice. I am not saying kibble is
evil, but it needs some major revisions before I can ethically say
it is safe for ferrets to eat. I will write something about this in
greater detail after I return, but I will probably save the juicy bits
for those who attend the various shows where I am invited to speak.

So far my trip has been extremely productive. I've been holding
ferrets, ferret x European polecat hybrids, ferret x steppe polecat
hybrids (they look SOO much like BFFs), and even what I suspect are
ferret x European mink hybrids. The museum material in Hungary greatly
helped plug some holes in my history of ferret domestication, it hasn't
changed it, but it has supported some of the weaker areas.

All-in-all, the trip has been well worth the time and effort. I
especially want to thank my Dutch and Hungarian "families" for all
thier help. I want to apologize to ANYONE in Europe who wanted to see
me but could not find me. I did that on purpose so I would have time to
get the experiments and data collection done. I was working 18 hours a
day most times, and needed to keep the stress levels down so I could
function (I am still tired and recovering from my throat problem).
There are plans in the making for me to return to Europe for shows and
talks, so there will be a better time in the near future. I will be
able to stay longer and will be recovered so I can handle the late
time of museum work AND talks. So, if you missed me, don't be angry at
anyone in Europe -- I asked them to keep me isolated. It is my fault.

I'll be back in America soon, and I am lookiing forward to sharing the
dental data with all of you.

Bob C [log in to unmask]