Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:04:37 -0500
>From:    Sukie Crandall
>Subject: These will interest some people who like food references but
>         not interest others
>
>BARF, dogs, and salmonella:
> <http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=12058569>
>
>I will post the result from that study:
>
>The results of this preliminary study prove that some dogs fed a BARF
>diet shed Salmonella spp. in their stools. This fact should be a
>consideration for owners choosing to feed this diet and be of especial
>concern for those with young children, the aged, or other people who
>may have compromised immune systems. We hope that this study will
>serve as an impetus for further study, with more subjects and multiple
>stool samples from each subject, to fully elucidate the public health
>concerns of this popular feeding trend. Given the high percentage of
>BARF diets that were positive for Salmonella spp. on culture, strict
>hygiene must be implemented when handling this food. In addition, the
>food bowl, the feeding area, and the pet's mouth must be considered as
>potential sources of Salmonella.

My comment, so? That (and the other links) are irrelevant to what is
the best diet for CARNIVORES to eat. The best diet is still a species
appropriate diet. They do have different digestion systems than humans.
It has been mentioned that proper food handling cautions should be
taken (just like you would take in feeding your family). I have stated
the caveat that a species appropriate diet is the best for the animal,
BUT might not be practical for some people to feed. But let's look at
some actual kibble related deaths:

recalled pet kibbles that killed:
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/060106_dog_deaths.html
Dog Deaths Surpass 100 Despite Toxic Pet Food Recall

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/go_recall.htm
The recalls followed reports in Southern California of 14 illnesses and
7 deaths in dogs and cats fed Go! Natural.

Mad cow tainted pet food:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/28/health/main542336.shtml
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/MadCowDisease/QA-BSE.asp

http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/define-royalcanin-recall.php
24 reported cases of hypercalcemia in Canada and eight cases in the
United States from November 2005 through February 2006.

Let's try and stick with the topic - “What is the best diet for a
carnivore?”

~Amy~