From:
"Chris R. Lewis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1988 09:04:16 -0500
We came across a particularly silly article in our local newspaper
which I have reproduced below.  Our response follows.

> Markham Economist and Sun, Sunday Edition Dec. 4th, 1988
>
> Reprinted without permission:
>
> Ferrets are latest craze
> Leah Walker
> Correspondent
> --------------------------------
> Four-wheel-drive vehicles, hiking boots and cellular telephones,
> move over.  The latest Markham thing is - the ferret.
>
> Indeed, that very member of the weasel family that our western
> grandfathers angrily blasted from prairie dog burrows has now become
> a much-desired pet.  Fun to play with and a great conversation piece,
> the ferret has nosed his way into the Yuppie heart.
>
> In the wild, ferrets are on their way to becoming extinct.  The
> rare ones left are plains dwellers who diet on prairie dog and otherwise
> keep to themselves.  They've been luckier than their pals who have been
> obliterated by animal enemies - including man.  Badgers, owls and dogs
> have played fairly.  Man, however, has played dirty pool by introducing
> cars, guns and poison gas into their existance.
>
> Thanks to this recent wave of popularity, the ferret seems to have changed
> in favor in much the same way as the once scorned lobster, at one time
> considered only useful for fertilizer and now equally appreciated by the
> enlightened '80s connoisseur.
>
> Luckily for potential ferret owners, it is not necessary to provide
> their pets with fresh prairie dog.  A high-quality cat foot plus supplements
> will do nicely.  A cage is a good idea for night-time.

Our response:

(If you want to print this, save it to a file, strip the leading bars
(|) and type
        nroff -mm <file> | col | <your printer>

> [...]
|If you're not prepared to feed your pet properly prepared foods, you shouldn't
|have a pet.
|Besides, I don't imagine that any domestic ferret has ever tasted prairie dog;
|I've already debunked the myth that domestic ferrets are related to the
|black-footed ferret that does eat prairie dog.
|Our ferrets much prefer
|premium dry or wet cat food (as did the baby Least Weasel) - they won't
|touch the cheap stuff - which consists of mostly cereal fillers.
|It's not a large expense - approximately 2-3 pounds of dry food per month.
|.P
|Finally, a cage is essential.
|It is not a good idea to let ferrets loose unsupervised for
|long periods of time, particularly in un-ferret-proofed areas.
|Ferret-proofing is like baby-proofing - except that ferrets can run
|and climb a lot faster than their owners can react.
|Ferrets can get in remarkably small holes, become stuck or
|injured in inaccessible places, or hide under rugs, or in sofas etc,
|where they may be crushed by an unsuspecting human.
|It is far safer for your ferret to be having their naps, and they sleep
|16-20 hours per day, in a nice cosy cage with their litter pan, water, food
|and sleeping blanket.
|In fact, it is perfectly reasonable to leave them in their cage for most
|of the day, letting them out only for a couple of hours of supervised
|playtime.
|.P
|A brief description of ferrets:
|.VL 1.4i 2
|.LI Weight:
|(females) .5-1.5kg (1-3 pounds)
|.LI Weight:
|(males) 1-2.5kg (2-5 pounds)
|.LI Length:
|14-24 inches including tail.
|.LI Build:
|Slender and athletic.
|.LI Colouration:
|One common colour pattern (sable).
|Many other colour patterns are being bred.
|.LI Lifespan:
|When well cared for, a pet ferret can easily live 8 to 12 years.
|.LE
|.P
|Of the many ferrets we've ``met'', all were gentle natured and very playful.
|Our ferrets have been handled by 60-80 children during supervised
|children's Christmas parties, and I have to admit that our ferrets were a
|lot calmer
|and more tolerant of inexperienced handling than we were on their behalf.
|Our ferrets react to all strangers with licks and kisses.
|.DS I
|Regards,
|

|Chris & Patricia Lewis
|(and Nicia and Mocha;
|Ferrets in Residence)
|.DE
|.P
|PS: for those old enough to remember M.A.S.H., our ferrets are
|much cuter than ``ferret-faced'' Frank Burns ever could be.

[The response is unlikely to be reproduced in its entirety, but the paper
has promised to send out a reporter "that can write" to talk to us
(according to Ms.  Stevenson, we sounded "neat", and the reference
to the Least Weasel really piqued their interest).  They also said
that they would publish at least some excerpts from the above.
Other people on the net may find the letter itself, or the information
it provides, useful]