From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 14:44:51 -0500
Ah! Agreement!

If you haven't read much about nutrition you never saw that coming!

If you HAVE read enough about nutrition then you expected it and were
just waiting to see how loudly others would gasp at either the
agreement or when they absorb the absolutely essential information the
agreement includes for anyone who designs a home diet.

Who else noticed these agreements yesterday? They are in relation to a
meat-only diet being a poor (sorry, but it is honest) diet IF used for
more than short term use or used when no other option exists in a
terminal situation:

 From Shirley Hewitt:
>Absolutelty not!
>
>The best diet for a carnivore is *other animals*. This includes bone,
>skin, muscle,offal (innards, heart, kidneys, liver, etc)
>
>No carnivores ever eat just the "meat" from their prey.

 From Amy:
>No, it would not be meat. It would be a species appropriate diet of
>meat/bones/offals.  A "prey model diet".

 From me:
>No, it should NOT be said that "meat" is the best diet for a member
>of Carnivora who is not past reproductive years. Meat is only a small
>portion of the nutrient content of a prey cadaver. It STINKS as a
>source of many nutrients such as a number of minerals and vitamins.
>People who think that they are feeding naturally by giving just meat
>instead of other portions of the animal as well are doing a grave
>disservice to their ferrets' health. Heck, that is why Shirley keeps
>pointing out the importance of whole prey.

(Sadly, I have heard of some people who are feeding ONLY raw MEAT who
are harassing some people who feed kibble which is actually a much more
balanced diet as long as good kibble is used. Meat itself is sorely
lacking in many nutrients, and for an older animal or for a kit a
meat-only diet may be even worse in negative impact than for some other
ages. Like I have said, the only people who need to feel guilty are
those who don't feed a balanced diet, no matter what type of diet is
given, and all need to be honest with themselves and their vets about
what is given and the upsides and downsides of their own choices.
Otherwise, no matter what your choice is, more power to you!)

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
To join, click on the joining link at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ferrethealth
and then follow the directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:
[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: