From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:14:22 -0500
Let's talk about double standards for a second (and the civil people on
every side ARE having to cope with that from the few on each side who
are vocal publicly or privately and not civil):

1. For some people it is considered fine to put in statements about raw
feeding of other species in zoos BUT from SOME of those same people all
heck breaks loose when articles appear showing that in that same
setting raw feeding has at times -- even with experts controlling it --
resulted in disease AND that because of the level of disease some zoos
have abandoned raw feeding for portions of the animal population to
learn if going back to a prepared food helped those species and might
help others.

2. A certain few raw feeding people have been repeatedly demanding more
and more references and vet statements and these have been supplied.
Those same people have not themselves supplied any expert references
recently if memory serves correctly. In fact, until Amy's link pointing
to a study yesterday, I think the only one mentioning raw food who has
ever supplied references is Shirley, and Shirley is also a civil
individual who, like me, would like to see the points discussed without
nastiness. Devolving into fighting doesn't teach anything. Shared
references do.

3. Some of the raw people are very happy to mention that dog and cat
work exists with raw feeding, BUT some of those same people freak if a
few of the existing infection references in relation to dogs and cats
and raw feeding are given.

4. Some people are happy to mention that raw feeding products used for
dogs, cats, and ferrets are similar or the same, BUT some of the same
people totally freak out when the sources of foods that wind up being
used in prepared ferret, dog, or cat food are evaluated for safety and
come out well.

5. Some people are happy to bring Natural Selection (species history)
into the discussion but NOT to learn basics about Natural Selection
itself to learn when it does not apply (as in longevity for ferret) as
an argument.

Now, I am NOT saying that only people in raw crowd have behaved badly,
but the horrid mails I have gotten have all been from some closed
minded extremists on that side.

In talking with some friends who feed raw I have learned that they
suffer the same absolute ^%$^&%*$%^ from some extremists on the kibble
side! So, I am sure that there are open minded raw feeders who also get
treated to double standards in the abuse they take.

********** Most people are logical and civil, are fine about letting
people make their own choices, and want information rather than
arguments **********

*PLEASE*, CALM YOURSELVES, YOU *FEW* FOLKS ON EACH SIDE WHO WANT TO
FIGHT, *PLEASE*!

NO ONE HAS A PERFECT ANSWER AND THIS ISN'T A JIHAD FOR ANY SIDE!

IT IS *SUPPOSED* TO BE A DISCUSSION WITH RESPECT TOWARD FELLOW MEMBERS
BECAUSE THEN EVERYONE LEARNS!

The only ones who deserve to feel guilty are people who feed poor
quality, unbalanced foods OF ANY TYPE.

Everyone else: give it a rest, for gosh sakes! Each food type has it's
own good points AND it's own hazards! NO MATTER WHAT IS FED THE PERSON
NEEDS TO KNOW THAT TO BEST PROVIDE HEALTH CARE!

FRANKLY, I THINK THAT THE BEHAVIOR OF A FEW PEOPLE ON EACH SIDE IS A
WORSE HAZARD THAN THE FOODS DISCUSSED! (And some of those people are
even worse off-list with exaggeration and intolerance no matter which
food they personally choose.)

Hey, folks, if I can find expert references then anyone can --
seriously! It just takes a willingness to put in the time, and a belief
that most FML people are intelligent individuals who like to learn in
order to help their ferrets, and who know that information changes over
time.

As for me: I have supplied enough refs and have better uses for my time
now.

>Alexandra wrote
>
>>At least you have a chin.
>
>I actually have two. Does this mean I can be permitted to eat twice as
>much?
>
>Hoping, Shirley

ROFLOL!

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
To join, click on the joining link at

directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:

[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: