From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:46:25 -0800
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while, been lurking and dealing with various
minor to moderate health issues in both ferrets, but what's prompting
my post now is something I've never even heard mentioned here before.

My ferret Lola is old (no, that's not the strange part). She'll be
nine in, I think, the spring. She's deaf since birth, now blind from
cataracts, insulinomic and adrenal. She had one gland removed when
she was three, but the vet doesn't even want to think about surgery
considering it's the more difficult gland and Lola's old and frail.

Here's the issue: Lola has developed an abscess on her vulva. In the
beginning I just thought it was swollen from the adrenal disease, as
that's been a common symptom with her. But since I first noticed the
swelling (maybe two months ago) it's become massive, hard, and black
and blue. Had her to the vet about a month ago and was told it was
an abscess. We treated her with Clavamox (ptooey!) in case there was
infection and started her on both Lupron and a melatonin implant,
hoping that treating the adrenal symptoms would help. Thus far, it
hasn't. Her fur has grown in lovely and thick, but her poor privates
still look just horrible. Actually, I think the structure itself is
starting to look a little more recognizable, but there's still the
huge lump around it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How is it treated? CAN it be
treated? Any input on this would be great. And the thing of it is, I
don't think Lola has a clue there's anything wrong; she is happy as
can be. She loves to run around, even though she can't see where she's
going! She loves to sit inside my shirt and cuddle, and she is the
kissiest ferret I have ever met.

Thanks in advance, I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the
holiday season.

Rachel, Lola, and Pukka too