From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:09:00 -0400
I doubt the coffee description is accurate.

Also, given the location I would suspect that the word "weasel" itself
maybe inaccurate, and that if any animals are involved they are more
likely to be viverrids than mustelids -- similar niches so similar
appearances but our guys are originally from the canine branch of
Carnivora and they arose from the feline branch.  A friend has pointed
out that another brand claimed to use beans which had been eaten and
defecated by one of the viverrids, a mongoose, perhaps...

Honestly, I don't know, but I am highly suspicious of the description.

[P.S., 18 June]
Okay, it turns out that several viverrids normal eat ripe coffee
fruit, enjoying the fruit over the bean. I have found notes of it
being done in at least 3 Asian countries. (Remember that civets and
mongooses are NOT weasels or mustelids.)  The processing does several
things including reducing the proteins which add bitterness to
coffee.  In industrial processing there is a mimicking wet step with
lactic acid.

See:
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publications/zoogoer/1996/4/coffeeluwak.cfm
and
<http://www.innovations-report.de/html/berichte/
biowissenschaften_chemie/bericht-31682.html>

Less intense:
http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0232/nc-ask.php
http://www.blogjam.com/2005/02/26/civet-coffee/
(Shades of Moose Turd Pie!)

An unexpected question arose:
http://www.sarswatch.org/comments.php?id=352_0_1_0_C

And an unexpected revenge:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010525.html

Sent on this, the 18th, my wonderful Woofer Steve's birthday!

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org