Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:06:11 -0800
Was there a stab at snake owners in general, making them ALL into cruel
people? I must have missed it.

BTW, there are plenty of sources of frozen rabbits and other large prey
to feed snakes, online. If someone wants to feed their snake a ferret
vs a rabbit, that is insane and not because of the "ferret is better
than rabbit logic" as I have had rabbits. Why would someone go into the
pet shop and buy a $120 ferret as opposed to a feeder rabbit costing
$12? I will tell you why - they think it's funny and or cool to see a
ferret get eaten. That's it.

Yes, nature is nature. But it is not natural for a snake to eat a
domesticated animal. Period. There is nothing natural when a snake
is inside an aquarium and the animal has nowhere to go.

Have I owned snakes? Yes. Small garter snakes, and I did feed him frogs
during the summer along with his normal worm diet. He wouldn't touch
fish. Did I feel bad sometimes? Yes. But you know what? That is a lot
more "natural" than having a ferret being fed to a snake. How many
snakes wander nature that come across a ferret????

Rabbits are closer to "prey" type animals and are generally more
accepted to be used as feeders for snakes.

People also get free puppies and kittens and feed them to their snakes
as well.

The point is - the deception. Deception in adopting or getting a free
animal to only end it's life.

And as for snake owners not being allowed to adopt - SIGH. I very
much doubt that after interviews and home visits, that someone would
go through all of that adopting a ferret from a shelter that screens
applicants and does several visits, interviews, playdates, etc....
I doubt that the shelter would have a problem with adopting to them
then, if they then knew the person and they went through that process.
Shelters don't just hand of animals to people they don't screen. That
is why the first phone call is so important - you can tell instantly
sometimes if you are comfortable with those people or not.

Laryssa