Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:31:35 -0800
Just checking in. Sorry I have been more-or-less unavailable, but I've
discovered how much I enjoy my "little pink ferret" Heather. I forgot
how wonderful a baby can be and I have to breathe in as much of her
baby smell as possible.

I've been doing a LOT of ferret proofing in the last couple of weeks.
One of the members of the group of four I adopted the night before I
flew to Europe (Daisy) has never read the books on ferret proofing.
I have discovered she can climb anything she can get a solitary nail
into, which means my computer desk, book- and storage shelves, and
enlarger tables are now "Daisy Monuments" to ferret-proofing failure
(or is it anti-ferret-proofing success?). Every couple of days I
discover a new region of Daisy's explorations. I feel like supergluing
her tail to a brick and her feet to coasters. Strangely, I am sort of
proud of her abilities to find new avenues of ascent towards the upper
environs, but I'm tired of finding stuff on the floor, imaginatively
decorated with ferret poop.

I have started working on the new and improved dietary series. I would
like this series to be a bit different compared to the previous one,
so I am starting each section and subsection with a specific question
asked by an FML member. I already have a large number of questions sent
in by FML members, but if anyone has one, NOW is the time to ask. So I
can identify it better, PLEASE use "BOB - DIET SERIES QUESTION" in the
subject line. All questions will be answered within the dietary series.
Examples of current questions include:

1. "Are there peer-reviewed scientific articles that specifically link
insulinoma to eating carbohydrates?" (Yes, actually quite a few, and I
will review them and explain why they are important)

2. "Is Salmonella a real or imagined problem?" (Both, and I will
discuss real and imagined problems and perceptions, and how scare
tactices can be identified)

3. "What is the diffference between BARF, raw, and natural diets?"
(OooOOooO! Good question, and I will work hard to answer it without
making too many typos with my big beefy hands)

4. "Why do you hate kibble?" (I don't; I hate foods that hurt ferrets.
If kibble did not cause harm, I would not be against it)

5. "Do ferrets really need their teeth brushed?" (Absolutely, unless a
diet makes your ferret the exception or your ferret is toothless)

I am willing to make some of my photos of kibble-mediated dental injury
available to FML members, but I do not have a place for them so people
can take a look. I am willing to work with someone to make a webpage,
or perhaps some type of temporary ftp site. Or maybe Bill can do some
magic to limit the pictures to FML people?

I also have a lot of questions queued up regarding ferret teeth, skulls
and bones. I am happy to discuss most of my latest research as long as
I am not expected to release specific numeric data. As the work
progresses, the data can change and I would hate to see someone quoting
old numbers if new ones are significantly different. Also, I need to
preserve the data for scientific publication.

I may not post again prior to the end of the year, so please accept my
personal wish that each of you have a wonderful season and new year.
Merry Mustelid to all, and to all a Good Ferret!

Bob C   talktobobc at yahoo.com