From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:17:20 -0700
Yes, it's very hard to escape light pollution. I love that picture
Sukie sent that shows global nighttime illumination. My area shows as
very dark and, in fact, i can see many more stars here than other US
places I have lived.

However, in this tiny rural town there are people who have astoundingly
bright lights (a sort of icky bright light green) that are mounted on
very tall poles. I assue they are there for thieves, but don't really
know -- time to ask someone! Anyway, there are a couple of these lights
across the creek from me, and with the shades up at night, their
light shines right through my livingroom and out onto the lawn!!!! In
bedrooms it jsut reflects back off the walls. One light shines into
the ferret room too.  YOW. And we do not have small lots here -- I am
talking about acres!

Also, I have friends in rural Mexico (mountains outside of Oaxaca).
When electricity arrived 10 (?) years ago, they got the same thing,
but the bright light up on the pole is white.

I hope to visit a friend in Ethiopia this winter (ah, those Frequet
Flyer miles!). I lived there 1968-72 and visited again in 1995. Nights
were plenty dark as I remember. I bet it still is! You'll probably find
it hard to believ, but I am remotely considering re-retiring there!
After selling my house wd I have to spend all the proceeds on animal
tansport?

Out in the ferts' outdoor pens, they are digging tunnels and spending
time in the black tubing. Probably getting good doses of darkness. It
is so cool to see the oles to their tunnels!

I thought I'd wait till the elevated walkway was done to take pix for
you, FMLers, but that part of the project is still just stumbling
along. But the pens themselves are great. I planted them with bamboo
so there would be green year-round. A friend is goin to help me make a
website at the start of Nov, so I will have pix for you then, whether
the walkway is done or not.