Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:41:46 -0400
From:
Hello to everyone. I am new to the list and was directed here by a
friend who is a subscriber.

My family and I are very concerned for our ferret Neo. He has been
diagnosed with insulinoma, and it may be fairly far along in its
progression. To complicate things, he also has ulcers, probably
resulting from the stress that the insulinoma caused before we knew
enough to take him to the vet and find out what was wrong with him.
He's 4 years old and had always been perfectly healthy and full of
energy. This all started about 2-3 months ago, when he started becoming
lethargic and just wasn't himself. About 3 weeks ago he suddenly became
extremely ill, stopped eating, and was throwing up. We rushed him to
the vet, and after a couple of days of intervenous treatment, he was
much better and ready to come home.

He's now on meds for the ulcers (amoxicillin, famotidine, and
carafate), as well as meds for the insulinoma (azium and proglycem).
Despite the fairly aggressive treatment, his blood glucose level
remains very low (in the 30's). He is actually eating very well, as
well as ever, but he's not putting back on the weight he lost during
the acute episode about 3 weeks ago. He's always eaten a high quality
ferret kibble, which we now food process and add water and slippery
elm bark to make a gruel that he loves and eats four times a day. His
stools and urination are regular and good.

He remains lethargic, and the inability to increase his blood glucose
level has me concerned that he may be at a more advanced stage of the
insulinoma, but it's only been about 3 months since he first showed any
signs at all of not being himself. If anyone has experience with
insulinoma and its progression, any advice would be appreciated. Our
vet is knowledgeable and has suggested the possibility of surgery to
remove half of the pancreas if Neo does not respond to the meds in the
next few weeks, but we do not want to put him through that trauma. We
also know that surgery is only a temporary fix, since the pancreatic
tumors will grow back. Surgery also has some possible serious side
effects, such as the development of diabetes, since half of the insulin
producing pancreas would be gone.

Anyone with experience with insulinoma, or with any ideas if this may
be another problem, please write and let me know what you think. I fear
that Neo will not be with us for a long time at this rate, and it is
breaking my family's heart. He has always been so full of life and
gentle and playful, and we do not want to see him suffer.

Thanks to all.

Jeff