From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 12:28:55 -0400
Nattifany wrote:
>I am inclined to believe that stories of ferrets eating sugary foods
>and what not and then living a long life are a dangerous thing.  There
>are accounts of ferrets living with sugary diets; but there are many
>more accounts of ferrets with insulinoma and various diseases due to
>too much sugar.  There are little studies on ferrets to back it up,
>but I would err on the side of caution, always.

I strongly agree with erring on the side of caution, but must point out
that there is NOT data in place to indicate that sugars or carbohydrates
actually cause insulinoma.  It is a hypothesis created from other
hypotheses, and with so much breaking news about the pancreas (which
is still in many ways an endocrinological mystery) it is essential to
remember that not all hypotheses pan out once they have been well enough
tested.  Most of the studies on which the hypothesis is based are not
insulinoma studies but diabetes ones, and in other species.  There have
also been two more recent studies calling into doubt the work based upon
the glycemic index, a British one on the glycemic index itself and its
failings, and a huge U.S. human epidemiological study that did not find
a significant difference.  See past FMLs to find those references if you
want to read them.  I sent them.  So, YES, it *MIGHT* cause insulinoma,
but, NO, we honestly should NOT be drawn into the inclination to think
that we know that it actually does.  So, there MIGHT BE " > many more
accounts of ferrets" rather than "There are".

There are excellent reasons to blame dental problems on them, but notice
that when you look at reported cases of gingivitis in ferrets, there are
few actual cases (most such posts are cautions as per a past recent post
of mine which gave numbers in an actual breakdown of such posts), and
those which are reported usually tend to have medical issues which can
CAUSE gingivitis (See quotes from _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_
in archives and other references.  That text notes on pages 273 and 274
that moist (soft or semi-soft) diets are especially bad for inducing
periodontal disease with milk-bread- meat being one of the worst and
ferrets in that study were given rib bones to gnaw to improve conditions,
also on page 274 this vet text advises feeding kibble for at least part
of the diet to help reduce -- yes, reduce -- periodontal disease compared
to a soft or semi-soft diet.)  For example, cardiomyopathy*, lymphoma,
induced immunosuppression (such as with chemotherapy), or ADV all appear
in past posts or references, or both as causes of gingivitis, periodontal
disease.  Gingivitis can cause some serious secondary medical problems
including heart ones if the infection gets into the blood stream and
survives transport, and it should always be taken seriously and treated
thoroughly despite the expense, but notice that the flip side is
documented as also happening, and also that the rare ferret with epilepsy
migh get gingival hyperplasia from Diphenylhydantoin if that med is used.
It is always important to recall that periodontal disease, gingivitis,
gingival hyperplasia may point to a need to check for more serious
diseases already present, or their meds, and that the reverse is true
in some situations.

* I have not myself read the reference on cardiomyopathy as a cause,
but have asked a vet and told that it is correct but did not have time
to ask for a reference so...

So, yes, follow Natifany's advice of erring on the side of caution;
it is excellent advice, but also remember what has not been proven
but is only postulated SO FAR because that way if things don't pan
out once they are actually studied completely then actual data will
not broadside you.

It is easy to forget that caution and doing so to have an easy answer
can even feel comfortable at first, but when studies don't pan out
treating belief or desire as if they equaled proof or hard data can
hurt emotionally and in even in terms of care (for example, at one
point the INCORRECT hypothesis that lympho can be diagnosed from a
blood test in ferrets was widely treated as proven, but once studied
it went down in flames because serious infections can also do that,
but the treatments needed differ)

BTW, although it is NOT typical, there are some -- but apparently not
many -- ferrets with insulinoma (or with lympho or carcinoma in the
pancreas with the same low blood sugar) who actually do better with
some carbohydrates added.  Usually, they fare best with carbohydrates
reduced and simple sugars avoided until the meds no longer work and
then adding constantly available dietary sugars can sometimes provide
more quality time, but there is some individual variation to take into
account.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org