From:
Robin Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 07:29:15 EDT
Yes Friday was a big day.  As Wolfy said we went to the Meerkat Refuege
out by Palm Springs, CA.  The Fellow Earthlings Wildlife Center.
_All About Meerkats -- Meerkat vital statistics, "adoption" info,
books, T-shirts and much more meerkat information from the h.._
(http://www.meerkats.com/index.html)

I hope if you ever visit Southern California you can visit this wonderful
place.  Ferret.  It was one of the Meerkats here that was used as a guide
for the Meerkat Timon in the moive The Lion King.  In a nut shell this
is where the Meerkats go when the zoos don't know what to do with them,
being they are to old etc.  These wonderful little guys fall into the
loving hands of Pam Bennet-Wallberg.  Right now she has 7 Meerkats in
residance, in 3 enclosures.  When you visit the tours are 2 hours (ours
was 3.5 hours cause we are ferret people doncha know).  There are very
strict rules that you must adhere to for both your safety and the
Meerkats.  But in the end you get a day where you get to sit and interact
with these amazing little creatures that in some ways remind me of
ferrets.  You get to feed them grub worms that they crawl up on you to
eat.  Wolfy has always told me about Chets way with animals and I got
to see it ferret first hand that day.  In this one enclosure there were
three animals.  We were all sitting around chatting.  Grub worms had been
eaten and the critters were just running around us and on us playing.
They loved Chet.  One little guy crawled up in a bed next to Chet.  And
the next thing you know he was up snuggled up in Chet's armpit going to
sleep.  Pam was astounded.  She said this was a rare thing to see and a
real treat.  Pam was very impressed with Chet and when we left.  She
took me aside and thanked me for bring such a special young man to
visit.Ferret.  More tomorrow on tacky tourist day.

Robin