Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:00:10 -0400
We have experienced severe flooding here in the southern tier of New
York.  A baby mink was washed out of his home and separated from his
family.  A kind passerby found him being attacked by crows, they thought
he was a ferret and took him to the local vet.  The vet, Dr Sarah, is my
best friend and knew I would like to see him, so she called me.

He was very scared, of course, and was screaming and hissing when she
examined him, but calmed down quickly when she offered him some canned
cat food.  He's doing well, after a long nap in a comfy towel and some
more food, he's ready to play and explore.  He makes no effort to bite
anymore and he has no injuries.  He had mites on both ears, but Sarah
got them off.  He's very bright eyed and interested in his surroundings.
It's amazing how much like a ferret he looks and acts.

I got some pictures, but kept my distance.  It was hard not to touch him,
and I didn't, he is a wild animal and I don't want to expose my ferrets
to any diseases.  I contacted a wildlife rehabilitator and she can take
him, but not for a few days.  The flooding is very bad, roads are closed
and this poor lady has no idea where her 99 year old aunt was evacuated
to, so she needs a day or two.  The mink is fine for now anyway.  I hope
his momma didn't lose all her babies.

If anyone would like to see the pics, e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

not-ferret- related-
A 2 story house was floating down the Susquehanna river today and got
lodged under the Court Street Bridge in Owego!  Quite a sight to see!

Deena =Ž..Ž=