From:
".:. Lin .:." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 23:11:00 -0500
Greetings everyone. :)

I apologize if this is long-winded, but I have a lot to say and I'm SO
irritated!

The last few weeks myself and a couple of other members have been
searching high and low to find a meeting place that will allow us to
bring our fuzzies with us..to no avail.  We have called pet stores,
humane societies (except one, which I will call in the morning), vets
offices, hotels, fire stations, convention and meeting places, etc..
No one will let us, and the *very* few that will want an exhorbant fee
(anywhere from $50-$150/hr.!)  So far our monthly meetings have been at
a library (first meeting-ferret free) and the rest have been at members'
homes.  Does anyone have any ideas at all of anywhere else that we might
could find a place?  I'm so upset that no one is offering up a place..it
seems hopeless. :(  I don't know where else to call..

And then we have business cards and pamplets as well that I have made up
and no one is wanting to cooperate on that end either.  I called some
pet stores to ask if they would distribute business cards with each
ferret sale, only for a couple to talk very rude to me and tell me their
employees already had enough to do without having to distribute business
cards (yeah right, a bunch of teeny boppers that sit around and do
nothing).  They wouldn't even offer to just *mention* the club.  Not even
a tiny little mention.  I am disgusted with the pet stores.  And they
preach that they have the healthiest animals and already know what to
tell potential customers regarding the care of ferrets.  As if I can
barely get a flyer hung up in a pet store and they take it back down
again.  I just can't understand it at all.  I don't know how to reach
out to the ferret people out there if I can't give out business cards or
hang flyers anywhere.  Even Petsmart won't cooperate, and their known for
doing adoption/education days!  We did have one that wanted to do one,
but Louisville's laws prevent any adoptions in the the metro area (but
over in Indiana is alright).

I just don't know what to do.  It seems hopeless. :(  I'm not going to
give up, but I am fairly upset that ferrets and animals in general, are
so looked down upon.  We can't even plan any fundays or anything like
that till we have a stable meeting place..  Ugh.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, please do share them with me. Maybe
there's something we haven't thought of yet..
--
Linda M.
Derby City Dookers Ferret Club Organizer

No one in the world needs a mink coat but a mink. - Murray Banks
Animals can communicate quite well.  And they do.  And generally
speaking, they are ignored.  - Alice Walker
Hunt each other - leave the animals alone.