From:
Lisa Vible <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:05:22 -0400
We always had dogs when I lived at home.  My mom liked miniture poodles
so we always had a poodle or two.  I had hamsters too.  My dad was never
home because he was climbing the corporate ladder but he only liked dogs,
nothing else.  My grandfather (my dad's father) loved animals.  He had
lots and lots of dogs and a few cats.  He used to feed all the strays in
the area.  He was a kind loving man.  He has been dead for many years but
I can vividly remember on sunny afternoons my grandfather would be laying
on his hammock under his cherry tree, with the pussycat, Kimmo, sleeping
on top of his rounded belly.

When I moved out and got married I always said I would have as amany
animals as I wanted.  I always loved animals and hated the way people
treated their animals.  When I 1st got married 20 years ago my hubby and
I had 2 dogs and a cat.  Then I decided to get a doberman and did about 6
months of research on them and finally got my best friend Xena.  But the
long wonderful life with my best friend was not meant to be.  Xena was
the most loving wonderful dog in the world but on April 25, 2004, at 7
years old, Xena collapsed in our yard and began coughing.  We thought it
was an allergy and got her to the vet on monday morning.  The vet said
she probably had cancer.  I couldnt put her down so I said treat her any
way you can and make her comfortable.  The next day, April 27, 2004, we
buried my grandmother and while at the funeral my wonderful Xena passed
away.  It was loving her that brought me to ferrets!

I had done alot of research on ferrets over the years and after Xena
passed away my daughter Lacy (and her sister Ashley) started bugging me
for a ferret.  We made a deal.  Since we had no other animals, if she
took care of the ferret she could have one.  So we found our sweet Sammy
at a good pet store in Delaware and brought him home.  From the day we
brought Sammy home it has been the most unbelievable love I have even
experienced in my life!  I cant imagine what I did before I had ferrets.
I still cant believe its only been over 2 years since I have had ferrets!
(Of course Lacy doesnt take care of the ferrets I do!)

I now have 9 ferrets (4 from a pet store, 3 from a shelter, 1 from a
breeder, and my last one is a "foster" from Oxford Ferret Rescue), 2
rescued dobermans (one from DARE and the other was throw out of a car
in front of my house and I brought him home and he has never left) and
a baby kitty from a shelter (satan kitty!).  And guess what?  I'm still
married to the same man who lets me have all these animals!  He takes
care of the dogs and I take care of the ferrets and Gabby the kitty and
he loves all of them!  I have read anything ever written about ferrets
and I love being on the FML.  I love learning everything I can to keep my
ferrets healthy and to help them live long lives.  I also show 2 of my
ferrets and we have won a bunch of ribbons and my Ozzy even placed Best
Opposite Show in Alter at Fandango in April 2006 (Dippy, my Ozzy is
beautiful and gentle and sweet and you would love him!)

I work with the Oxford Ferret Rescue and love every single feret that
passes through my life.  I have made so many good friends in the ferret
community and love talking about my best friends, my ferrets!  I am also
the educational director for the AFA!  Life just wouldnt be complete
without all my ferret boys!  They are the light of life, right up there
with my family.

Lisa