Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:30:47 -0700
Hello all,

Hope all your little fuzzers are doing good!

I need some advice on how to preserve my syringes, if a possible.

I have three ferts that are getting pred 2X a day.  I mix the pred with
ferretone .4 mg pred (of the 15mg/5ml strength) with .6 of the ferretone.
I use a human 1cc syringe.  After about 3 days of use they get hard to
push and aren't smooth to use.  So I have to throw them out.  I don't
want to risk aspiration because of a too fast of stream coming out, they
lick it from the tip of the syringe.  That equals one syringe a day as I
use a syringe for each ferret so they each have there own.  These are the
things I have tried--

1) rinsing them out with warm water and allow to dry between uses both
together and in two pieces

2) rinsing them out with cold water and allow to dry between uses both
together and in two pieces

3) leaving the pred ferretone mix inside, so as soon as I give it I
refill it and leave it sit with the meds inside.

4) not rinsing between uses and just leaving the residual inside of the
barrel of the syringe.

So far I am batting a big zero.  It just seems to me the syringe should
last longer.  Maybe I should give up the idea of each fert having their
very own and just use one syringe for all.  Then maybe I would only throw
away one every three days.  I just didn't think that I like the idea of
ferts sharing a syringe even if it is only by mouth.  Two are on meds for
insulinoma and the other for stress related GI problems.  Any REAL reason
why they shouldn't share?  No known dental problems.  I am just a little
leary of sharing.  Maybe I think they are HIV or something.  Maybe it is
because I live in a drug infested neighborhood and all I hear about is
not sharing syringes and needles!  HA!  HA!

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance, MJB