From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 20:50:23 -0400
Today while my husband and I were on our way to dinner, an animal crossed
the road right in front of our car, and another car coming the other
direction.  Both cars stopped to watch it cross.  At first I thought it
might be a ferret, because it had the body shape and moved like a ferret,
then I noticed it was solid brown.  My husband said, "Beaver?"  But
it didn't have the flat tail or the right body shape to be a beaver.
I answered "Weasel?"  But it didn't have the white chest that I think
most weasels have.  Then I guessed, "Muskrat?"  But again, wrong body
shape.  It was definitely something in the weasel family.  From surfing
the Internet looking at photos, it most resembled a mink or otter.  We
live in upstate SC.  Don't know how common either would be in this area,
but it had to be an animal in the weasel family.  It was larger than a
ferret, but not a lot larger.  Now I'm puzzled as to what the little guy
was who scurried across the road.  We looked for him on our return trip,
but he was not to be seen.  There was a bridge very close to where the
sighting occurred.  You can't see water under the bridge, but there may
very well be water down there.  Puzzling.  It was kind of cool.  I just
wish I knew for sure what we saw.

Holly
Icarus & Cato