From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 13:40:14 -0400
New gingivitis stuff:
<http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=17459>

New hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) discovery
and new adrenal discovery:
<http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=17451&startid=17468>

Notice in relation to the second quote below that he is referring to
even a short amount of extra time (about a year) for the ferret, but
that better can be achieved for many.

[Remainder of this seems to have been posted already.  BIG]

You'll want to get a copy of

Weiss CA, Williams BH, Scott MV.
Insulinoma in the ferret: clinical findings and treatment comparison
of 66 cases.  J Am Anim Hosp Assoc.  1998 Nov-Dec;34(6):471-5.

In
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG2550
Dr. Bruce Williams says:

START QUOTE
>In a study I did with Charlie Weiss years ago, we measure success
>rate of the various surgeries based on how long the animal remained
>symptom- or disease free, as well as ultimate survival after surgery.
>The three groups were medical treatment only, removal of pancreatic
>masses only, and partial pancreatectomy.  The mean disease- free
>intervals for each group were 22, 234, and 365 days, respectively.
>The mean survival times for each group were 186, 456, and 668 days,
>respectively.
END QUOTE

Dr. Bruce Williams also mentions in
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG8153

START QUOTE
>Here is the way that I usually approach this issue. Yes, 40% of
>insulinomas recur in about 10 months or so. However that leaves
>about a 60% cure rate.
>
>Now if we assume that one month in a ferret's life equals about one
>year in a human's life, let's make an analogy with you (nothing like
>getting personal). If someone told you that you had a tumor, and
>removing it surgically would ensure you a minimum of six years tumor-
>free life, more likely ten years, and there would be a 60% chance
>that you would never be bothered by it again, what would YOU do?
END QUOTE

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org