From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:55:34 -0400
Sure.  If the ferret hasn't eaten enough recently enough then transient
low blood glucose can happen, BUT remember that a number of ferrets show
the symptoms very on and off in the beginning of insulinoma.

Most adrenal growths are benign neoplasia (which still should
preferably come out due to the results it causes, or be medicated
properly if surgery is not possible), so I think you were thinking
about some places experiences with the malignant possibilities.  If
you search the FML Archives under Golden Oldies you will see the
statement of Dr. Bruce Williams, ferret expert veterinary pathologist
on that regard.

When we encountered carcinoma in a pancreas in one of our sweeties the
presentation was sudden and without warning.  In fact, she stopped
breathing and needed gentle mouth to nose and mouth cheek puffs, and
her body temp dropped so she also needed that raised and sugar
solution on the gums, and off the the emergency vets... She was able
to get 3 months after that before she needed a mercy shot which we
were told was very good for a ferret with a pancreatic carcinoma.

We have had a ferret with a totally removed, encapsulated adrenal
carcinoma go on to happily live about another 5 years before getting
a totally unrelated terminal condition.

I think you are totally right in being careful, but remembering that
you might not be seeing spread, and suspect that you had her blood
sugar checked by the vet today.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org