Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:38:54 -0700
Hi Gang,

I am contemplating traveling from Northern CA all the way to San Antonio
Texas.  I will travel with 9 ferrets.  SO, I need help in deciding how
many days I should take to make the trip.  Mapquest says 24 hours.  So,
should I make that 3 eight hour drives with 2 nights at hotels or
friends.  One stop in LA then another in Tucson, most likely.  Or should
I make it 2 twelves.  With just one stop in probably Phoenix.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.

I usually drive dusk to Dawn but not always.  My main concern is stress.
Is it more stressful to travel three days and be in carries one third of
the time or travel 2 days with being in a carrier half the time.  Because
of space limits I can't set up comfy cages and not worry.  The carriers
have hammocks.  The carrier break down would be 2,3,4 in each carrier.
The one pair would rather kill than share.  Three big carriers in the
back of the car.  Or one in my front seat and two in the back.

I haven't decided which car to take.  Either a 4 door Saturn or a Lexus
400.  The Saturn gets better mileage.  The Lexus is bigger of course.
The lexus had a weird tranny problem that 2 mechanics couldn't diagnose
because it did it only twice.  It hasn't done it in 4 months but I
haven't driven it that much either.  Also, the Lexus has darkened
windows in the back so it helps with the sun issue.

Also the names of any emergency vet clinics along the way or phone
numbers of fert contacts in case of trouble.  I will go I-5 to I-10
and across.

thanks,
MAry Jo