From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:03:49 EDT
A really cute, but at the same time scary, thing happened the other day.
Sean came out of the bathroom asking where his "ferret thing that he
washes in the shower with" is.  He was beyond disturbed that it was
missing.  And he searched for it until I stopped him and told him he had
to shower and get to bed.

Before I tell you what happened next, let me give you a bit of background
about this ferret "washy thing".  You see, when I first began sharing the
connection between Sean and ferrets on the FML, I was surprised to see a
few people reach a very tangible hand out to my little boy and my family.
One of those people was the quirky and eccentric, Georgia Wood, who
helped to pioneer SOS.  She sought out my friendship and wanted to send a
gift to Sean for Rocky.  We exchanged several emails before she decided
on what to send him.  Then several more getting the details just right.
She examined everything from color to texture.  She was surprisingly
understanding and she was educated about the sensitivity of autistic
children.  And so soon after a box arrived for Sean and Rocky.  In it
was a dark reddish, thick, fleece sleep sack, a tiny Grinch stuffie, a
very large teddy bear stuffie and finally but curiously ... a ferret
"shower washy" thing.

The shower "washy thingy" was actually a ferret with the netting around
it.  Those who knew or still know Georgia know her to be very resourceful
and creative.  She had taken one of those net shower "thingy's" (what are
those called anyway?) that was actually a light brown monkey that didn't
look much like a monkey, attached a dark mask on it's face, and wella.
It was a picture perfect ferret shower "washer thingy".  Sean, who well,
was difficult to bath was thrilled.  He used it a lot for a few years,
and then ever since then, I've noticed it untouched (or so I thought)
hanging in the shower collecting uck for the next few years.  I finally
took it out of the shower.

And Sean noticed when he went to take his next shower.  Scott and I were
a bit surprised at his very odd reaction.  It took him a while to get
into that shower ... this guy that is so "normal" nowadays.  I felt so,
so bad.  I couldn't remember what I had done with it.  Knowing me, I had
thrown it out.  I felt horrible.  But today, I am so, so relieved and
very excited to find that the ferret shower washy thingy was on the floor
behind the toilet.  I was quick to pick it up, and revive it.  I spent a
while with it in the sink making it like new again and washing off the
years of soap grime, etc.  Now it sits all spiffy in the bathroom waiting
for Sean.  I'm watching the clock right now waiting for him to come home
from school.  I know a smile will come to my face about this memory ever
time I look at it in my shower.